MakeHuman MHX2 Plugin in 4.0

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a niche case and am looking for pointers how to fix my workflow.

I have built a little one-man pipeline for low poly animations using custom proxy meshes in MakeHuman. My goal is speed and the big benefit of Makehuman is that I can customize a character and import it into Blender fully rigged (with the MHX2 rig, as Rigifiy import has been broken for ages). Now the importer and, of course, the bone layer selector for the rigs are broken.

MHX2 isn’t really supported anymore and I actually fixed some issues myself when there were API changes in Blender in recent versions. However, I’m no programmer. Those issues were easily fixable if you understand the basic syntax. The switch from bone layers to bone collections (and possibly other things) is much more complex, at least to me. I looked at the error messages but barely understand where to start.

So what I’m asking: Would anyone be willing to fix the importer or have any ideas how I can approch a fix?

hey unluccy,

the last issue on the repo seems to point to here which in turn refers to this addon.

if that doesn’t solve your issue, let me know, maybe i could have a try at it,

cheers

Hey Kyeo, thanks for replying!

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to make sure I tried MFPB2 thoroughly. I’ve known of the further developments for MakeHuman but for my workflow they are all way way worse than MHX2. Importing my proxy mesh human from MakeHuman works somewhat well with MFPB2 in 3.6, but even then I get error messages.

Worse, though, is that you don’t just get a working rig as with MHX2. I only managed to get a “broken” Rigifiy rig for my character, which would be “usable” but still pretty bad, because the Layer UI doesn’t work right.

Of course, all of that is completely broken in 4.0, untill they release an update for the addon, as well. The same goes for Quick Rig for Auto Rig Pro, which I own. That is probably the best solution, but has not been updated yet.

Anyway, if you would want to take a look at MHX2 I would be very grateful. Apart from future projects I’m already very worried for projects I started which use the MHX2 rig and use the face rig and phoneme system. That won’t be easy to replace at all…

No rush on the replies,

Alright, I will have a stab at it, never used either, so if you have a simple test that I can replicate to watch the actual errors it’s quite welcome.

I cannot promise you that I will be able to fix it this week or the other,or even fix it for that matter; but I can for sure try!

cheers,

Well, thanks for trying or even considering to help.

This is an example MHX2 file:
captainshipoftheline.mhx2 (1.9 MB)

Here are some pointers to the errors:

When importing and MHX2 file through the addon, these are my settings for creating an MHX2-type rig:

These are the error messages:

For an existing rig, this is what the bone layer panel looks like. Nothing surprising here, this happens to all custom rigs with 4.0.

Error when pressing enable layers:

Error when trying to swithc between FK and IK:

I will probably have another go at it, as well, but given that I only know a little bit of python, I don’t have high hopes that I will get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

These are some great resources though:
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/4.0/Animation_Rigging/Bone_Collections_%26_Colors:_Upgrading

If you try, thanks very much and if you don’t: Thanks anyway!

1 Like

hey, sorry i got caught up with wrapping the year at work and forgot about this.

as soon as i started i realized i don’t even know how blender works in this area, much less how the code works underneath.

i will still try nevertheless, this upcomding semester i’m rather freer since only one subject at uni.

cheers and happy holidays

Hi, sorry I did not give an update in this thread! It’s mostly been done! It’s not backwards-compatible with old models (without manually renaming the bone collections at least) and the face panel does not work but most things I was interested in work now.

I went through the modified code, but it didn’t suit my needs (I especially needed the working face panel for face expressions). So I modified the original code from Github so that it doesn’t cause crashes in Blender 4.0 (with any options settings, I think), and the face panel works. I also added extra drivers for the eyelid bones.

I’ve explicitly fixed only the crashes of add-ons and not the functionality of individual features because, in some cases, I have no idea what they’re supposed to do.

Here is my result: import_runtime_mhx2_Blender4x.zip. You can try it.

Hey, thanks for sharing! I only did a quick test but it worked quite similarly for my use case to the addon version I posted here.

However, for me the other script never crashed but your script crashes when importing an MHX2 file with the settings I use. So it’s kind of reversed for me. But if I need the face panel for a project, I might switch to your script. Thank you!

Would be great if the project could be revived in full but given there are other options out there, in the long run, I will probably also switch to some other solution. It just makes sense.

Hi, could you post here the mhx2 file causing the crash? Please also attach a screenshot of the import options. I’ll look at it and fix the last version of my plugin. Thanks. The original code needs many improvements; some parts are useless or unused, or for the ancient Blender version. Because developers are working on the MPFB, I think there is no chance to revive the project. Unfortunately, MPFB does not allow the possibility of importing face shape keys.

The latest version of the addon is here import_runtime_mhx2_Blender4x.zip (801.0 KB), so there is no need to download it from Dropbox.

Sorry for not replying earlier, I got ill for a while and then other things had to take priority.

I will test these versions as soon as I find time and upload an MHX2 file that crashes the addon, if that is still the case.