Man of War

Awesome​:partying_face::tada:!

1 Like

Thanks! They really are. I made it more difficult by laboring over every detail’s accuracy to real life where nobody is actually going to care :upside_down_face:. Alas! I was unable to rig the sails. In some of my earlier attempts I was pinning the top row of verts and running a cloth sim with a wind force. This gave me decent results but it wound up just looking like an obvious amateur cloth sim, so I scrapped that plan in favor of simplified manually modeled sails. While I have not seen your solution, I’m pretty sure every aspect of rigging and animation is tedious to do! :laughing:

I have just made a driver to switch between rolled sails and unrolled, quick and dirty ^^
But I struggle for the possibility to turn the sails, with ropes and pulleys. The model was less accurate than yours, and I cheated with just a squash/stretch on the rope meshes. If you want to have a look : https://polyhaven.com/a/ship_pinnace
I would have preferred to drive through a curve array, but it was more tricky and I didn’t want to modify too much the model.

1 Like

Very cool. I am very new to rigging, so that all looks impressive to me. I know what you mean though, sometimes you need to settle for something that works rather than the ideal in order to get the job done. This ship was definitely part of my reference material :slight_smile:

If you plan to rig the ropes and want to discuss around the possibilities, do not hesitate to contact me, I will be more than happy to give a hand to help rigging such a beauty :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind as I do love old ships and want to take this further. At the moment though, I can’t even look at this thing any more :rofl: :rofl:

I can understand why :smiley:
As I dream to be able to make nice reconstruction of medieval boats “soon™”, I am working on a geometry nodes setup to ease a bit at least the rough layout. Very early stage but would help to make some starting meshes more easily.

For now it is generating the hull, keel and bridges from curves and a few parameters.

1 Like

You should make a water sim for it!!!

1 Like

Yeah, i had same feeling. All this work and than the presentation is a bit muhhhh.

I am working on a number of actual scenes that will use the ship and I think a water sim may be in the cards for at least one of them.

That’s pretty cool. I have only scratched the surface of geo nodes, but would love to follow your progress on it.

I may consider this or something like it next time around as well. https://blendermarket.com/products/blender-4-mesh-to-wooden-planks-geometry-node