Mantaflow 2.82 Can't get water to flow through a tube

flowfail

waterpipe.blend (1.8 MB)

I’ve been following some tutorials on YouTube on how to get the water works moving along, but I can’t get this tube/pipe to work, the water just flows through it.

I’ve tried reversing the faces
I’ve tried a solidify so it’s a manifold mesh
I’ve tried using the guide instead of collision.
etc.

I’ve tried everything I can think of, so I need some help. I’ve included the file so you can take a look for yourself.

Edit: Well this is interesting, if I bake the mesh, it’s animated in a different location from the inflow object. The object’s origin is next to the object, so I don’t understand why the mesh would render way off center.

Managed to answer my own question, but it took using a much thicker manifold pipe to get working. I’m not sure what the minimum thickness is, but no matter, I just made it really thick and got it working.

flowworkingnow

if you have a thin obstacle you need more voxel size, with lower voxel size you need thicker obstacle.
The trick is to make a thicker version of object, use one as a collider, the other one as the object to render

1 Like

That’s actually a pretty smart idea! Seems a little cumbersome for big scenes though…