Marin County Civic Center - Frank Lloyd Wright

Hi!

I just wanted to share with you my last ArchViz project.
This is based on the Marin County Civic Center, which was designed by the great Frank Lloyd Wright.

My goal was to make it on my free time in a maximum of 7 days… It took me 2 more! because I had to work hard on the render (too much grain, too much fireflies…).

I was inspired by pictures of the building that I found on the internet (I never had the chance to visit it…), and retrofuturism illustrations (I love the way it was drawn during the 50’s/60’s).

So here is the finished result (and below it, a 3DView screen)!

Modeling in Blender 2.73, Rendering in Cycles (6000x4500px), Post in Photoshop CS6.

All comments are welcome :slight_smile: what do you think about it?

1 Like

Awesome! The lighting also suits the scene very much :slight_smile:

Only major thing I would nitpick here is that the hole in the roof looks a bit low poly.

Very nice, I like the audacious composition, if I were to improve it, I’d say that, in a space this big, you could use volumetrics or sun rays, something to break the symmetry in a subtle way, perhaps some floating particles, it would add a tactile atomsphere and give a little more life to the plants, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your comments! :slight_smile: they are very encouraging! Much important: thanks for your advices!

Awesome! The lighting also suits the scene very much :slight_smile:

Only major thing I would nitpick here is that the hole in the roof looks a bit low poly.

@sheepHD: You are totally right! I noticed the low poly roof and this is my mistake; but although it is a personnal project, I gave me a deadline… So I wanted to achieve it in a maximum of 7 days… Moreover, when I first rendered it, it was so noisy; so I tried to cheat by adding area lights… Result was far better… Because of these rendering problems, I put aside all geometric purpose…
I will take care next time.

Very nice, I like the audacious composition, if I were to improve it, I’d say that, in a space this big, you could use volumetrics or sun rays, something to break the symmetry in a subtle way, perhaps some floating particles, it would add a tactile atomsphere and give a little more life to the plants, if that makes sense.

@elbriga: thanks for your advices! I used some references photos found on flickr, and tried to get the original light mood of the center. In fact, I did use volumetrics; I duplicated the scene, replace materials by black diffuse and rendered it!
But I had a problem: sun light and background lighting don’t seem to affect volumetrics… so, only my area lights did work!
I like the idea of improving the atmosphere by pushing it further anyway :wink:

Brice

Great job. It looks like the real thing.
I love the Bioshock font :slight_smile:
Could you please let us know what were your samples settings and how long did the final render take?

Great job. It looks like the real thing.
I love the Bioshock font :slight_smile:
Could you please let us know what were your samples settings and how long did the final render take?

@DominikKin: thanks a lot for your comment! :slight_smile:

About the render:
Resolution: 4500x6000 px
Samples: 400
Bounces: max 3 min 0 Diffuse 1 Glossy 2 Transmission 3 Volume 0

Rendered with GPU nVidia Gtx770 (4Go).

It took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to compute (don’t remember exactly the time…)

only 400 samples and no grain or firefiles - WOOOW
what did you tweak, textures or light?

only 400 samples and no grain or firefiles - WOOOW
what did you tweak, textures or light?

Hi KRUChY!

Yes! I have to admit… I did cheat a bit :wink:
I have added some arealights as you can see on the 3D view screenshot I posted below the final result.
Without them, the render was far so noisy! I tried a sample count of 2000… Not really useful…
But these arealights fixed it!

I also clamped the indirect samples to 4, and reduce the maximum number of bounces to 3.

There were some fireflies on red walls (but not that much); I reduced them with photoshop.

If I could give you an advice: try to replicate light bounces with area lights! Even if it is not a photorealistic way to work, you will decrease your rendertime and avoid fireflies!

Brice

THX for TIPS - they really clear some thing. I would say - the best way it’s OLDSCHOOL way - as it was done in Blender internal render (to achive bounces you put light under floor).
The area lights have different colors - but what about strengh of lights? Sun, world and theese fake are lights?

THX for TIPS - they really clear some thing. I would say - the best way it’s OLDSCHOOL way - as it was done in Blender internal render (to achive bounces you put light under floor).
The area lights have different colors - but what about strengh of lights? Sun, world and theese fake are lights?

I used 1 Hdri for world with a strength of 35. This is high, because I wanted the sky to seem overbrighted.
I used 1 sunlight with a strength of 34.
I used 1 large area light to simulate the top window, with a light blue color and a strength of 500.
Red/orange arealights were used to simulate sunlight bounces, with a strength between 150 and 200.

thx - i’ll will test it in my room scene