Maritime World of Blender

The other bit is basic colour map fits over it. Made in 3DEM as any colours for any height can be made mergng

When I make content (routes) available for download they are not for critique which would be meaningless, also not for commercial use. Some/Several routes will be just terrain and water. That alone can take many hours of work on a single route to open up the rivers by lowering the terrain along their course such as the Solway Firth route.

Others may have a few items added. Others a small change of texture.
When I arrive at Lands End that will be about quarter of the coastal era of the UK. At route 40 now so still a way to go maybe 50 total along Cornwall.

Era will be age of sail and around c1800 (maybe) as less complexity. It is not about just Blender but routes will hava a description, as with the description making a tidal rise of 9 meters over 6 hours Using a flat water sheet of 4 vertices

Hopefully other people might make some maritime routes…eventually. They don’t have to be perfect, no critique is necessary, as it is about expanding the interest in all types of animated maritime from the simplest animation to most detailed…with Blender.

Some types of ships could be submarines, fishing trawlers, tugs, trimarans, catamaran, coastguard, naval, liners, icebreakers, sailing ships

Same applies to scenarios of which there could endless variety for game aficionados. I mentioned collecting cargo and could be made more complex by one floating case being explosive and having to wend your way through them not knowing which…or through the Everglades with a risng tide and many paths blocks. The list is endless but I think scenarios would mainly be for others to create (possibly).

I think the numerous emojis I seem to be gathering should be of kegs of rum, starting from one keg, even sweet sherry would do (smile).
B

I think we could encode your data to faces of a tesslesphere as a heightmap and then we can place subdivided triangle patches over the faces -> bump out the details -> make a whole planet traversable.

I am working on supporting triangles next - this one only supports quad-spheres, and the seams cause artifacts using my algo (right now the terrain is generated from perlin noise in game and not a UV map texture)

so the answer is don’t have any seams ->

it won’t let me post more than 1 video

I remember many years back I made a few routes for Virtual Sailor. The seperate Routes joined up but gaps of empty water between the joins.

Flight Gear loads the maps for each section from the Internet.

My problem is I can only understand simple Blender although used it for about a dozen years or more. Most people use a fine detail for terrain making but srtm2 is 3arc 270 feet. A lot of it is sea so that doen’t matter too much at 25km square.

But following with interest.

Barry

From the previous deleted Liverpool route c1800
Leaving Liverpools first dock built 1715. B
leaving%201st%20dock

1 Like

In the screnshot of the ship leaving the first dock a long while back I animated the bridge to raise/lower using the near function I think.

Just another example however with making dozens of routes I might just include a simple scenario very occasionally but the emphasis I prefer to be on ship movments between harbours. Set up with the timellne and had them running up to an hour or so with preset tracks, and set to manoever into position at the quayside.

Be glad when I get to Lands End. At Clovelly number 43 at present. Maybe another 7 should get there. Then plenty to work on to last over the next few lifetimes (smile).

I will probably only list 2 routes, rotating them each few days or week or so in sequence. Most routes will be land and water to start with…but will add a third route at random that has had some alterations however small.

The emphasiis is on the past ages and bygone times so even if there is no interest in the downloads not too important as my previous websites have always been descriptive which is what it is all about.

B

1 Like

The conway castle I will be replacing in the conwy route.
Made years ago and image shows it in a previous route now deleted.
Hard to tell which is the river and terrain. You can just about make out the quayside on right. Also needs town walls, etc…some day. B
coast_21_conway

1 Like

To save me posting on this topic later as just summarising what I am trying to do. Critique as explained is not relevant (as about 45 routes minimum and growing). However as my skills are limited perhaps/possibly/maybe, if any interest, try what you consider an ‘improvement’ but in the ACTUAL 25km route. Then explain in detail how you created the new effect (without decreasing frame rates unduly). Then might be able to include it in the particular route ‘USING’ 2.78c/2.79. i don’t want video tutorials which I find too hard to follow. I am not concerned about optimisng routes as KIS ( keeping it simple) and unless framerates drop considerably below my default 60 vert.sync using average Nvidia card.

Also most importantly it is all about the coastal past ages and bygone time and not just Blender.

I think that will do for now until I finalise the website and start downloads.
Keep the noggins of virtual rum flowing!
Must make a smaller barrel with bung.

B

1 Like

2 more to make then at Lands End.
If any use track live ships movements between ports in real time with names of ships, etc.
Hope UPBGE etc, makes good progress as ship routes could become more complex. B

http://www.shipais.com/

Nice Progress So far ey keep it up @barrymaritime im impressed
Fred/K.S

I think it is impossible to fix a set era (except modern) for historical maritime, harbours and ports are forever changing. Some have very little info when doing internet search. Internet shows just a few silted up remants of a former harbour. Silloth shows an empty harbour. Liverpool 1800 one and half miles of quays. 1830s grown to 3 miles and so on.
Modern liners need giant size deep docks so many of the smaller docks are now closed, silted up, too shallow, or abandoned. Lighthouses are largely redundant and a few have beome houses. Difficult.

Some have changed to marinas if not silted up. Deganwy, Preston docks, and so on. So for age of ‘pure’ sail before paddle steamers, say up to 1815, so many places I think I will just put in a wood jetty, sailing ship and maybe a hamlet of a few houses, trees etc? Any later than 1815 would be too complex to try and model. So will try sailing flats, sloops, schooner and maybe brigantine?. Free style. B

1 Like

The website will be about coastal past ages.
Seeing if the link to it works and just upload basic index page.
Barry

http://www.bgcoastalpast.com/

It shows as not secure but I think many sites show that. Using Firefox and Bing. it.

As mentioned many of ny routes are simply terrain and sea. It will take many hours for me just to open up rivers etc.
I will see if I can zip a test route up and see if it will download later today maybe.
Still got the full Isle of Man route at about 45 km but might be too large to run it. However no set rules also you can use routes yourself to make what you want but NO commercial.
If maritime perhaps give details, etc, as mentioned in previous post.

The search address bar should find it.
A search won’t untill the search engines find it. Just registered it with Bing. Once one finds and lists it the rest usually follow.

Links on site seem to work.

B

for licensing, i would recommend using a creative commons license. they are widely known and easy to find info about. you can also add a CC button to your page.

i would recommend “CC BY-NC” v4.0

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

Thanks I will have to look into that. Not sure if payment necessary as so far I never pay online. I am always about 20 years or more behind everybody else (smile).

I have enclose readme terms in zip file, just general use at your own risk etc. Same with links, no responsibility accepted, etc, but only links I know and looked at etc.
Been battling with Filezilla for a few hours. Seems to work OK now as only added a link file so far. I you want a relevant link or whatever just mention.

Barry

Looks like downloads are off.
zip file, windows 7.
This file is not commonly downloaded .

Apparently there are many people on line with the same problem.
Worked fine for years when I had my other site.

So unless there is any easy fix that’s that. Using Bing and Fiirefox.
B

Several seem to have this problem on searching for…
.zip - this file is not commonly downloaded.
Some posts say might be due to firefox security settings.
But if settings unticked then chance of malware?
Internet seems to be a lot more complicated,
It downloads and the warning only when opened.
I can open it but would not like to make routes available if any warning attached to the zip. for others.
Looks like text only and screenshots. smile
P.S
After using a zip file over sveral years to make routes downloadable, this was a surprise I didn’t expect. I will be wary in future of relying too much on the Internet.

B

Been meaning to comment on this. Looks awesome :slight_smile:

Just put snowdon mountain zip file on site to download as a test of the problem. Index page
The problem is still there. Downloading no problem. Only when opening… then the warning as explained plus might contain malware etc.

A search on the Internet shows numeros people have the same problem which is new. Even my other site when I posted on this forum about a year ago had half a dozen for download with no problem with zip file. Same over the years also no probems with zip files. Seems to be a security feature but gone to extremes. I have no idea what the solution is!
The route link is on the index page as a test. use roaming camera. home/end/arrows keys

I will probably remove download it later today. Perhaps somebody knows a solution. Spent hours looking for one on internet but no luck so far.
to check internet ’ this file i not commonly downloaded’
Just had a quick look and numerous pages from numerous other people with identical problem.

http://www.bgcoastalpast.com/

Thanks but at present any downloads on hold. See zip file problem outlined which seems to be affecting numerous people. You can alter the security settings in firefox but would not advise it. Barry