Materials and texture

Forgive me if this is a complete noob question, but I am extraordinarily new to this…

I have noticed in other engines that backface textures/material show as transparent/invisible. Blender appears to show the texture as displayed on the front face of the object (for argument sake let’s say a plane).

Am I correct in assuming that Blender views a face like an onionskin(both sides of the face show the same image), or are those backside faces a misleading display? If the text is unclear I can add picture to explain in more detail.

Really what I am trying to determine is, if I take a box shape and remove the top face, are the interior faces renders/displayed the same as the exterior faces? A few basic tests appear to support the idea but I would like to better understand before making the complete assumption.

Thank you,
Tirick

Yes, a face shows the same on both sides. You would have to extrude the faces inwardly, to get another material inwards…but so has all the 3d programs í know of to do?

Excellent, thank you. It is a nice feature; one you can see the model without wierd invisibles, and you don’t have to worry which side of the face is correct.

Tirick

Yes the planes and all other objects are textured both sides. For instance take a cube or a uvsphere, select a face or more and delete the faces. You will see inside is the same texture. Even though the face of a plane or box is infinitely thin in theory in the program there is no weird invisibles that I know of.

The only thing is the normals. I’m very fuzzy on them except I’ve had a few instances while playing around with radiosity where I had to flip my normals or recalculate them for inside or outside. It’s ctrl + n to recalculate to the outside and shift + ctrl + n to calculate them to the inside. To flip them you just hit W (edit mode) and select flip normals from the drop down.

P.S. I’ve noticed the backface invisibilty a lot in game designers, less calculating for the cpu and graphics I suppose.