Maxon announce R23

Well, it’s look that Maxon “for some reason” change gear and start more seriously to consider actual develop. For years Maxon sleep, one of his releases advertise “architectural grass” as brilliant, new feature… in real this was just preset for C4D hair system, ( which no one use anyway ).
Now Autodesk and Foundry are on move, will they bring something new to keep users? Blender really disrupt industry, force big lazy companies to actually put some effort in develop. To be clear, every big company are bloated with bunch of overpaid X#Y$@CTYX!!! Number of people which actually do something usefully are surprisingly low. For me it’s to late Maxon… sorry.

3 Likes

usefull links in the description

1 Like

They didn’t sleep, they trully changed the Core - something Newtek promised for Lightwave but didn’t deliver. Also a thing that Autodesk talks about but instead of really doing it is slaughtering and frankly patching MayaBiMaXSIenstein together. :wink:

2 Likes

I would be willing to give C4D a shot if they release an indie pricing model. Right now, C4D is the most expensive DCC for indies. In my country it costs about the minimum wage per month, which is really a lot.

2 Likes

Yet another miserably weak release.

It’ll take many years for C4D to be dragged onto the Neutron core. Everything is going to have to be rewritten to work on the new system. It’s a huge and protracted job with no delivery date for completion, just keep giving Maxon $800/yr…

C4D, the most expensive DCC for Indies ships with the 2 worst CPU renderers in the business along with the worst GPU renderer. You still have to buy XParticles, various fluid sims and a 3rd party renderer to have a viable DCC. Trust me, you don’t want to try running a business on vanilla C4D.

1 Like

Not commenting on the price nor delivery date but i have to say the UV tools look SWEET!
Also the scene nodes look pretty powerful to me, the UI of it looks good too.

I’m jealous, thats all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cinema is focused on very specific field… so, price is high… but they simply do not care. For specific task C4D is still best solution, and they know it. True, “vanilla” C4D are not suitable for top works ( $$$$$$ ), you “must” buy renderer, XP, probably some other simulation software, Cineversity subscription are not cheap + many other plugins which are not cheap like his Blender counterparts… I don’t even want to think about total sum which one “pro” artist - studio pay every year.

Maxon “upgrade” core… but they announce this many, many years ago, and still this is WIP :roll_eyes:
But this is not excuse for years and years of neglecting CORE FUNCTIONS - FEATURES.
Body Paint which are in his time industry standard now is hilariously outdated, I’m not sure that they introduce Symmetry… imagine Top Texturing tool without symmetry! Dynamic is still very problematic when stuff are more complex, cloth engine is far worse than Blender even before I start using Blender seriously I do my simple cloth simulation i Blender and export in C4D. Many stuf in C4D is still single core or do not use full advantage of modern CPU/GPU. My primary interest is in modeling, although Maxon bring some nice stuff, this is just to catch barely minimum.
… I’m not animator, but as far I know some of best C4D animators, in fact animate in Maya and export animations in C4D. R23 bring some nice… presets, but do they really make animation more user friendly for complex stuff? Maxon lose some of his highest profile artist in past couple years ( I’m not included in this list :smile: ), people simply start using Houdini for mograph and Blender as tool for “direct modelling”.
TL;DR, MAXON start to wake up, and this is good stuff, healthy “competition” is crucial for advance.
… now Autodestruct and Foundry are on move
… then Blender will answer
… then users will be forced to learn new stuff, again and again :roll_eyes:

L’artista: A funny way to showcase a new DCC feature (C4D in this case)

7 Likes

Actually, it seems Maxon removed ProRender from R23.

If I know Maxon, they’ll be milking this release, and then introduce Redshift as the standard renderer in R24. They have to to remain slightly competitive.

Found the source:
https://support.maxon.net/kb/faq.php?id=108&lang=en_US

1 Like

To paraphrase Boromir “one does not simply starts using Houdini”

Its too technical driven and the opposite of artist friendly.

It is like you said, for general workflow, Blender is rock solid. for motion graphics and if the money comes from your employer, Cinema is the logical choice.

2 Likes

Without a functioning Metal version of Redshift they can’t include it with C4D as half their user base will cry foul. So C4D ships with just the worst 2 CPU renderers in the business then… :slight_smile:

How generous will Maxon be with an included version of Redshift, limited resolution or limited number of GPUs? It’s bound to be crippled in some way. Redshift being included with C4D would likely also mean Redshift updates would be tied to C4D updates. Maybe they’ll no longer support older versions of C4D?

I wonder how well the Redshift business is going, before the Maxon acquisition the updates were regular and there was a lot of positivity on the forum. It’s such a different place now, the devs seem very fragile to criticism and there is a lot of criticism for long promised features not appearing, I was not the only one to stop my maintenance and walk by the looks of it. The hype there was around Redshift has rather waned of late.

There’s so much more choice in the 3rd party render market and RTX has robbed Redshift of its USP, speed. For nearly the same money you’ll be able to use Renderman 24 and it’s completely unrestricted and free for non-commercial work.

I enjoy reading your posts on the Cafe BTW…

You are correct. They got rid of prorender and virtual walkthrough. They wasted all that time on prorender and could not get it working well with their new “improved” core. Meanwhile we have a better functioning version of prorender on Blender. If they were smart they would have got Cycles instead of prorender.

https://support.maxon.net/kb/faq.php?id=108

For over 10 years maxon has supposedly been transitioning to multicore and still can’t program for it even with the new core. On top of that now they are going to find the time to program for the new Apple ARM mobile processor. They can’t even program for the x86.

As for the new release there is not a single tool that Blender does not have better using inexpensive plugins. For a paid program they should have every tool go way above and beyond what free software can do. Let’s stack on that a super overpriced subscription no one wants to pay, get rid of the option to buy the software, and not include Redshift which they now own. Then they wonder why people are switching programs. In R23 they have this new face rig, but didn’t even fix the base problems with their joints. Instead of fixing their weighting they decide to throw in Delta Mush. They finally get a way to export animations via fbx. It took long enough. Maxon has no idea what they need to do.

It is also sad that this is probably the most impressive release they have had in 10 years. In 5 months they have more to show then many of the previous 1 year releases and it’s still not close to what they should be doing as a company that charges for their software.

I’m so glad I switched to Blender. With Blender I paid a one time fee of $500 for plugins and now have all the major tools I want. I have such creative freedom with Blender and the plugins I feel like I can make anything I can dream of super fast. Cinema 4d vs. Blender is a joke. All cinema has is Mograph and I think they don’t even have the guy that invented mograph on their team anymore. I’d guess they were not smart enough to pay him the money he wanted. Too bad for them. I can’t wait for everything nodes to come out so cinema 4d will literally have nothing better than Blender.

2 Likes

Maxon has struggled to keep top tier developers and as a result there’s a lot of makeweights in the organisation. Which shows…

1 Like

Not sure the legal stuff but Arnold does seems to be doing fine being shipped with Autodesk, althought Arnold GPU is still behind?

Perpetual upgrade fees have gone up ~30%. Maxon is doing its utmost best to get rid of perpetual licenses. A 1000 euro for a rather thin upgrade, with lost features.

I am so glad I got off the Maxon money train when I did.

3 Likes

From this it seems maxon has no plans to put redshift in cinema 4d, but you can pay for them to be together.

https://www.maxon.net/en/products/maxon-one/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=maxon+news&utm_campaign=r23+and+maxon+one&utm_content=maxon-one&utm_term=eng&j=924915&sfmc_sub=173614785&l=33724_HTML&u=51799256&mid=500009610&jb=489

So what Maxon - Redshift have with Crapple $hitty decision to go “full metal” and make stuff even more complicate for everyone? Blame Crapple, instead to invest in open GL they continue to rise wall around his “garden”… nah…

Well, every software, even simplest, have some nice features which overthrown much more robust, complete software. Nothing in this world are perfect… including me :grin:
Seriously, I’m somehow jealous too. Couple days ago I help one experienced Max user to start using C4D… mean basic stuff ( where is this button… what is name of this or this and where they hide it )… All software have same basic principle, so, when you know one it’s relatively easy to switch.
And this remind me how Blender is … comfortless compared to Cinema. This is stuff of personal preferences, of course, but Blender is so… rigid, how to say. Designed with only one workflow in mind.
Work in C4D is like you have comfy cushion on your chair, not big stuff, but on the end of day some part of your body feel difference.

1 Like

If pockets were part of your body, they would definitely feel a difference !

Apology, I’m out /o/

Maxon will make it more and more difficult for perpetual upgraders and then turn round and say owing to lack of interest we’ve decided to end perpetual licences. Only a matter of time.

I too am glad I’m off the Maxon money train, it wasn’t the amount that concerned me it was the value for money and on that score I didn’t feel like C4D was good value for many years.

Sadly I didn’t take your hints about Blender seriously enough, I wish I’d picked it up sooner because it’s so much better than I ever imagined. If I’d learned Animation Nodes and Sverchok sooner I may never have bought HoudiniFX.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about why Maxon would remove ProRender. As we know ProRender 2.0 is a significant improvement over PR1 in C4D. We also know AMD are about to release RDNA2 GPUs with Ray Tracing which will no doubt get supported pretty quickly in ProRender 2.0. I think you can see where I’m going, ProRender 2.0 with Ray Tracing acceleration and Machine Learning denoiser might be a little too close to Redshift performance for Maxon.

They’ve killed ProRender support so they don’t have to answer the awkward question why is C4D is still on V1.0 when everyone else is using V2.0 because Maxon don’t want to offer V2.0 as it’ll cannibalise sales of Redshift.

Also Maxon will want to drive as many Mac users as possible to Redshift after all the effort they’ve put in with the Metal conversion, ProRender 2.0 hanging around would significantly reduce those numbers too.

2 Likes