Maxwell Render integration for Blender (different one)

Hi carbon2,
Congratulations for your good job.
Opertive for Blender 2.77: good news!

The exporter crash when I try to exporter a roof with so many roof tiles using DupliGroup or DupliVerts, it could be any object and still will crash. When I replace the DupliGroup or DupliVerts for normal objects, it work as expected, but the scene become so heavy, can you tell me what I’m doing wrong?

it can be many things. unless you provide more details, i can’t help. like platform, error log, blend, etc…

Sorry I asked you without any further detail because I thought it was something unsupported. I just wanted to make it sure.

Its hard to give you my scene because its very complex, With so many links that become broken when you change the directory. (and sometimes it can’t be fixed, trust me, the link support for blender is very poor and broken, although it is a must have option).
For now, I make a simple scene with monkeys (suzane, I wondering why north americans love so much monkeys, cats are better in every aspect). I linked one monkey with DupliGroup, and spread it with DupliVerts, this scene doens’t crash (that’s interesting), like the other one as I said before, but when it export, it shows anything in maxwellrender, I think we can work on this and see if I doing something wrong ,so I can test my complex scene again, before try to send you.

scene.blend (479 KB)monkey.blend (479 KB)

The monkey blend file is the monkey itsefl, and the file scene.blend, its the scene that you have to try to exporter to maxwellrender.

I’m using blender 2.77a
Slackware Linux -current 14.2
Your updated blendmaxwell (0.4.5)
I have all variables exported as you teach us in the git.

My maxwellrender is the last one 3.2.1.4, but its a trial version(don’t know its matter), I really want to buy it by august.

The exporter didn’t write any log.
And my english is very poor, sorry for that.

yes, mxs is blank which is quite interesting, will investigate it more tomorrow… tell me one more thing, you said plugin crashed, blender itself crashed? python itself should not crash but raise an error, unless there is something wrong in pymaxwell.so the it can take down whole blender. but at this time (at least on osx) it writes crash log somewhere. can you send me console output? or that crash log?

ok, it is not even exported, i suspect that it gets sorted out and marked as not renderable, i am not a fan of linking and i rarely use it, so i never tested it much…
the crash you mentioned, maybe you run out of memory? how much you have?

Hi thanks for your quick answer.
I said it crashed, because when start to export the scene it stop about 45% and it raise an error in the blender info window.
The blender itself doesn’t crash.
The scene that I sent you doesn’t have a log (The exporter doesn’t generate one). I think its because the exporter thinks it went well even exporting anything.
The another complex scene, I told is hard to sent you because so many links it have, have the exporter log. (I think it do have the log because it fail).
Do you want this log?
Note: When I make all my objects local (not linked) the exporter works as expected. (in this example, and in the complex one).

i would be interested in that error. exporter always logs, will be written to terminal window if you run blender from terminal. or you can check ‘write log’ in ‘export options’ panel. error should be written there as well

i guess there are two problems, one exporting something heavy and second when linked (and maybe also instanced) object is not exported when it should

How Can I help you with this?

hello,
anyone who uses blendmaxwell should read this…

it is very unlikely that i will upgrade to v4. my business focus shifted back to photographic postproduction and i have no way to justify before myself such investment. also the fact there is no studio (not yet? or never will be?) and no gpu support on osx (no nvidia gpu in current apple lineup is no excuse, if you ask me, many people can solve it with external gpu enclosures or older (tower, not the garbage can) mac pros with flashed or even unflashed regular pc cards), makes such investment a nonsense for me. currently i use maxwell for my personal/art projects and i am quite content with v3.

i am going to update the addon from time to time, e.g. when some blender api call changes to keep it working with v3, or when i find out something really important to implement, but that’s probably all.

sorry for bad news…
j.

Hi carbon2,
the bad news doesn’t come from you but from NL, with their bad trading politic and, if you ask me, their incompetence.
I agree with you that v3 is sufficient to my needs too, I have enough bugs already without the need of the new ones from v4.

Currently I’m using the other add-on because, as you perhaps remember, inexplicably I was not able to make blendmaxwell work on my computer without continued crashes, even after a clean install of OSX, but since the last version of the other add-on is also quite disappointing to me, I think I will do a new attempt when I have time.

Best whishes,
paolo

hi sourvinos, yes i remember that old skeleton in the cupboard i was not able to solve… still mystery for me. hope those crashes just vanished meanwhile…

Yeah, in the meanwhile blender has changed, maybe also MR, I don’t remember, my computer is older (you know, with old age you become wiser :)), perhaps things will go better.
But to be fair, I was not able to solve, not you, I was the only one having that issue, so it must be related to some infernal thing inside my comp.

hehe, true, i must know it since i am getting old too :slight_smile:
maybe you, maybe me, i have no idea how many blendmaxwell osx users are there, maybe you might be 50% of all

and the other 50% are just lucky (me)

Thanks for the notice…
Yeah, no upgrade here also. V4 is a cruel joke.

I suspect indeed that there are just a small handfull of blender-maxwell users, far less Mac users, it must be difficult to be motivated in develop, and to discover bugs.

eh, no, not really, i am motivated because of me :slight_smile: when i need something, i just write it in. when somebody appreciate it, that’s great bonus. for example, i’ve got a few small things that didn’t get into master, like ability to render colored point clouds, which is quite a hack btw, but it works…

I envy you very much for this.

paolo