Maya 1999

This is Maya from the 1970s TV series Space 1999. Here’s a link to some images of the character for comparison https://www.google.com/search?q=maya+space+1999&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjLzO7Z15TmAhXrQkEAHXJ_ChkQ_AUoAXoECBEQAw&biw=1920&bih=929#imgrc=_

I was inspired to try sculpting the character by the recent re-run of the old show here in the UK, It was always a favorite of mine.

All thoughts, comments and tips for improving the image are most welcome.

1 Like

Difficult to tell without seeing the underlying mesh, but i would guess that there are too few faces overall. This gives a bit of a ‘mushy’ look to the model as there is not enough geometry to bring out the true shape of the actresses face.
The real face has a pronounced dip under the cheekbones, and a sharper edge to the jaw. Also, you might want to concentrate a bit of effort on the overall shape of the skull, not just the face. From what I see, the skull is tapering towards the top and the back, whereas there should be more bulk above the ears, which hare also a bit small and too far back.

Hope this helps .

Matt

The eyes are very close to the nose. Move a little and this little adjust will create a better result.
But you model is very better than my … https://blenderartists.org/t/dark-pig-from-hell/1197136

Thanks, travellingmatt, much appreciated.
There are 133 thousand faces at the moment, which I guess is pretty low. I haven’t made any changes to this since posting but have been playing around with the remesh option in 2.81 so I think that will be a way to increase the face count.
Here’s a couple of images of the mesh as it is at the moment.

I will get to work on the suggestion you made, they will be a lot of help to let me see where improvements need to be made.

Cheers, CristianoSimao for the tips on setting the eyes to the correct place. I will make some changes and see how things look.
I think you are headed in the right direction with you sculpt. Just keep practicing, that’s all I do and slowly things are getting better me. I can also recommended watching any of the Grant Abbitt tutorials. His stuff has help me learn a lot about sculpting.

On a side note, maybe it’s just me but the Elastic Deform brush in Blender 2.81 is a constant source of amusement to me, I can get some real weird looking sculpts using that. :laughing:

try downloading this tool for reference.
https://www.pureref.com/
tutorial in how to use it

it might help you see what the differences are.
Start with a very low res mesh and get everything into place.
Don’t up res and ad ploys until it looks right.

Thanks, Mash3d, for the tips, most helpful. Pureref looks like it could be very handy, I will try it out.

Actually, that’s a LOT of faces. OK, when you subsurf, the count can go that high, or if you decide to sculpt after the modelling phase, but if you are modelling, it should be more like a couple of thousand.

The issue with having too many too early is that if you are modelling, a high count makes it slower and harder to move the points around. When sculpting, it is still important to have a good underlying structure, or the face loses its shape and becomes ‘melted’. Putting the key edges along the edges of the important parts of the face, like round the eyes and mouth, along the jaw, round the nostrils, and down the lines that join the mouth and nose keeps the basic shape of the face. The detailed modelling or sculpting then adds to that structure to produce detail, whilst really only moving a few things around by a small amount.

Here is an example ( not great, but it shows the point i am making )

Thanks for the info, most useful.
To date I haven’t tried modelling any of the of the characters I have made, instead I go straight into sculpt mode with a rounded cube and I apply a subsurf modifier to it and then set about sculpting. Sounds like this may not be the best approach.
Still got a ton of stuff to learn about sculpting and character creation but as a way to learn the best approach I think I will retopo the the mesh I have so that it appears similar to the one you show, and go from there.
The “melted” look, that’s exactly how I thought the model looked. More like one of Gerry Anderson’s Thunderbird puppets than the real Maya.