Maya - First Impressions

I wonder if some of you could count as high as the number of people in the gaming and graphics industry that learned about 3d and learned their software with a borrowed copy. :no: I’ve learned maya, max, and lightwave, and of all the big guns maya is all around the weakest in my opinion. My favorite is lightwave, but I’m sticking with max because it’s usually the standard in gaming. My copy is legit. Lightwave and Maya I initially learned with their demo versions, for a while at least.

Why lie? I mean if I told you guys I just barrowed it from a friend it would be the same thing. And everyone knows that an average joe like me cant afford software this expensive.

Maya has (and most, if not all autodesk software) a “learning edition” of the software, which water marks the renders and limits them to a certain resolution.

You should only be using that tbh. No excuses for cracking software, especially when you’re claiming it’s only to “get ahead of the game” which is basically the sole reason they offer this learning editition…

I’d try out Maya, but they don’t have a Learning Edition for Linux!

So until they get a Free learning edition for Linux. I wont be trying it.

You’re right, but the only thing wrong with Maya PLE is that it has limitations where some features cant be learned, and I would like to learn as much as possible so that’s why I preferr the Unlimited version. With PLE i wouldnt even be able to finish the screwdriver tutorial (which i learned quite a bit from).

This is a good point about Pixar. If you want to work for any leading animation house one day (esp. Pixar) I’d worry about basic art and animation skills more one software platform or the other.

I’ve known a few guys who worked at Pixar and apparently they really don’t care what software you know (they hire animators with no 3d experience whatsoever), but you have to have be a really good artist and have good animation skills. I also know a supervisor with a small effects shop who says that the biggest issue he has with people applying for work - especially young people - is that they know all the latest software packages, but don’t have any understanding of cinematography, editing, composition, perspective, etc.

Admitting that you used cracked software to learn your 3d skills in a public forum is a good way to get blacklisted from future jobs you might apply to.

Further, you endanger BA.org from discussing this openly.

Keep it to yourself.

Regards
Xarf

Getting blacklisted? HIGHLY unlikely, but not impossible. Besides, I’m not sure i want to work for a company that lurks on the blender forums to blacklist people who use pirated software.

Look, it shouldnt matter to anyone here how I obtained the software unless you work for autodesk. The topic here is transitions from blender to maya. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less.

Edit:
Also, please note that i learned everything i know about 3D software in general with blender, most of the knowledge is already there, i just need to “port” it to maya.

hi VOSX - thanks for sharing your progress. I’m interested in learning another app too and as I had a take on the tutorial, I wasn’t able to get anything besides a “black” screen (the rendered image was way too dark)
do you remember a workaround at the texturing/rendering stage? Something that the tut didn’t mention? I can’t make it work and after checking all my settings a few times, still no success.

Sounds like you dont have adequate lighting… did you add an ambient light?

yes sir! I followed the lighting 100% but the “thing” is in the materials. It looks like there are steps missing for maya7? I’ll do some more reading …