Mcintosh Tube Amp

I have been working on this for a couple days and would like some input. I am still in the learning phase of blender and would love some constructive criticism about what I need to focus on to make my models better.

Thanks!

Well - the materials, modelling and lighting here are spot on… the only thing is the sockets… I don’t think you have XLR and phono sockets quite right (xlr only has 3 pins) , or completely to scale with each other. Also - does it actually say “Inout”? I’m asking - I don’t know.

I may well be telling you things you already know here, but I think the screws on the left are adding wires to speakers - you strip the wire, wrap it round the screw, and put the head on. These are often designed so the head doesn’t actually come off, so that it doesn’t come of.

I haven’t seen this actual amp in the flesh, but I’m fairly sure it uses the same sockets as other amps.

Once more—fantastic work.

thanks man. I really appreciate the comments. I’m posting the image I used for reference so you can see why I did a few of the things the way I did.

The screws on the left I modeled correctly (I think.) The anisotropic shader may be a bit too glossy to see the hole in the center and makes it look like a screw on top. I have all the grip divets in there as well, but the smaller image makes it hard to see. Also, the in out text is correct, but I did mess up a few others! lol

As for the XLR, I am a musician and I can’t believe I did that. If you look at the image, the input has 4, so I just ran with it on the output. Idk if modern technology changed somewhere along the line and they used the old technology for this reissue or not?

Again, thank you for the comments. I can always use the input and it makes me less self conscious about showing off my work around here. You guys do some amazing work! Very inspirational…

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/Assets/Images/Products/MC75/XL_MC75_Angle.jpg

Very nice render! The details are amazing, everything from the wires in the tubes to the screws on the panel really sell the image.

My only two comments are these:

• The release button on the female XLR is just poking out of the flat metal body of the front panel. I would just move it down a tiny bit into the plastic jack housing rim like it would be in real life. You probably don’t even need to make a proper cutout for it as you wouldn’t really be able to see it in the black plastic and dark lighting.
  • I think that what you are thinking is a 4th XLR pin on the female jack is really just the connector logo. I can’t exactly tell which, but probably Neutrick, they often put a small circular logo in the middle of their female connectors. 4-pin XLRs are either arranged in a Y or semicircular arrangement, but (as far as I know) never in a perfect T.

These are super small and picky, but this is a really nice and super detailed model.

Keep up the nice work!

Thank you Peter G. It is really appreciated. I spent a lot of time on this, and it is my first Blender project that I can honestly say I am proud of. Things are finally starting to “click.” Hopefully there will be more renders to show in the future!

If you are keeping with that image feel I would add a particle system around the scene that emit small objects that are blurred example

I see what you mean about the particle system. I think that would look great! My only question is where to add the particles. Should I add them to the tubes, the base of the model, or the backdrop?

Hey Skym, I only have two notes about this. First the overall lighting is a bit on the dark side for me, excuse the star wars pun :wink:
Maybe experiment a little with the lighting? backup your files first though so it doesn’t go south.

Second, the black plastic material seems a little flat, it could be because of the lighting idk, but in the reference photo the highlights are broken up a bit by a noticeable bump, if you can simulate that it would be perfect.

:slight_smile: good luck

For the particle system create a separate object for the emitter and render the properties use hide emitter thats what i would do