measure units in blender?

i wanna do an accurate recreation of my room but im not sure how blender measure, like my room is 16 x 12 ft. with my computer like 1.5 feet high etc… how can i ratio this into blender?

I think they are working on this for 2.5 but as of now I don’t think blender has any type of in or cm measurements.
The only solution I can think of is make a scale and convert ft to blender units eg: 12 Blender Unit = 1 Foot

ok thks im gonna do the 12 units = a foot

i think it would be more reasonable to make one blender unit one meter or 10 blender units one foot.

are something else but like 1=1 or 1=10 easier.

If you go to the View menu and select View Properties, you get a control panel that, among other things, controls the behavior of the grid in Blender. You can define the size of each grid square and the size of the “grid floor” in perspective view, but most importantly you can set the number of times each grid square is divided. So if you’re working with feet and inches, you can change this to 12. On a smaller scale, you can change it to 8 or 16.

Blender strives to be “unit agnostic,” and for modeling and rendering purposes, it mostly succeeds. You can work on any scale that works for you, that is appropriate for your current project.

If you start using physics simulations, you might want to think about working on a consistent scale, like 1 BU = 1 Meter.

Hi peoples.
Following on from this,

If you start using physics simulations, you might want to think about working on a consistent scale, like 1 BU = 1 Meter.

The BMAE v1.2 Script by Ron Walker,
Found here: http://www.geneome.net/2007/06/18/bmae-12/
Has an easy interface to create 12 object types,
name objects, set mesh Measurement Unit,
a metric to us standard calculator,
then the ability to Create the object in xyz Size & Location.
I have the script tested as fully working in Blender 2.48a.

I would recommend using metric (meters). It just makes so many units so much more consistent and easier to work with both in and out of blender. Like gravity. 9.81 ft/sec^2? No way! its 9.81 m/s^2.

Does anyone know if blender 2.5 is going to wind up having cutom units of measure (e.g. inches, feet, and so on?)

Unless you want to make something and all your plans are in feet and inches. Use the scale which is the most appropriate for your needs.

Richard

ricky m-
this thread is a year old, btw

After finishing off a nice bottle of red wine, time’s just a blur

Richard