Medieval church in the italian countryside (All Saints Church)

Hello Blenderists, it’s been a while.
I share one of my latest project, the reconstruction of the medieval church of Ognissanti (Bari - Italy). I tried to reconstruct the setting as it must have looked at the time. It’s actually not very dissimilar to what you can see today if you pay a visit.

Though is rendered in Unreal, I used our beloved softwere for modeling and texturing the ground (its all made by modular pieces), some of the trees and I did the animation of the close-up rainy shot in Blender, exporting then the alembic cache in Unreal 5.
It seemed legitimate to me to post the result also here, since a lot of work was done in Blender.

More and some breakdown on my Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Evgnq0

Happy blending y’all!
:heart: :blender_logo_64_png:

20 Likes

You did a great job.
You catched really well the atmosphere and the materials of our beautiful region (writing as Italian)where, as often it happens, you can see historical gems.

Two main things I suggest you to improve.

1. The reflection of the river, particularly in the dusk shots…it “glows” orange also in the part that shoudl reflect the shaded part of the terrain side.
  2. the water drops are too artificial…I can’t clearly write to you how to improve them but they feel so much computer generated.

One big question is about the texturing of the church… do you scanned the real one? or what?

1 Like

Wow! Fantastic work! So realistic!:heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks, nice to hear it man!

Thanks a lot Bart for the feature once again!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, reflection with lumen are quite tricky especially when it comes to translucent/transparent materials. Here in fact I have to say I prefer the other light versions and not the dusk one for the reflections and colors of the canal but this one I like it much for everything else. Anyway I think that lumen does quite its job, you have to consider both the angles of sun and camera and IOR of the water here, maybe thats what confuses you, the light shaft are touching the water and so making it glow as you say even in spots close to the containing wall.
As per the rain I am not sure at which you are referring to cause there are three different raining system (was a bit experimenting here) and I agree the last one in the last panning shots doesn’t sell the effect 100% cause its a premade shader included in a rain system that doesn’t give much control of the raindrops flowing on meshes

About the reflection of the water, what I can see at 0:13 it seems quite strange in the side of the river near the ground side.

About the rain, the shot at 0:39 it feels strange too…

In any case thank you for your reply. It’s a good job and it works. It’s nice to see it.

Yea the second is a procedural animated shader, tried to experiment on that. I would have imported and used an alembic file also for this but it would have been very heavy for an entire canal/river

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Presenting the “Behind the Scenes” article for this stunning artwork!

Feel free to explore the article written by the artist himself. It takes you through the detailed process of creating the artwork and offers valuable insights into environment designing in Blender and Unreal Engine.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn

2 Likes

Thanks again for giving me this opportunity! :slight_smile:

1 Like