Medieval Town (Post here your buildings if you like)

Looks good. As far as how to model things, just sketch them out and ask me. I can model most things. Except a chesterfield sofa. Don’t ask for help on that.

Ahahaha fair enough :slight_smile: I have seen a chesterfield sofa on the forum and assumed who modelled it must be crazy. :slight_smile: Anyway, thanks, tell me if you would have modelled these candlesticks in a different way, I have started from a circle, extruded up and scaled many times, and then added the solidify modifier. (plus a bezier curve)

Attachments

lol im not finished yet
i have been pulling up some references and started blocking the building together but will go back and start adding more details as i go :slight_smile:

@ manorial
really small cloud texture as the bump map?
What sort of chair decoration are you trying to create?

@3dmedieval
i will have to check that one out myself as its the only gripe i have with blender.

Hey Bacon :slight_smile: Something like woodcarving. Same for the fireplace. Like a shield with some angels carrying it (I have seen one in the castle where I’m working).

are you looking for something embossed or for it to be cut out? if you get a picture up i am sure we can work out the best way :slight_smile:

I’ll take a picture :slight_smile:

Yes, Sculptris is a lot easier. But remember, it just sculpts. You have to import your base mesh in .obj format, which works fine going and coming from Blender (Blender has some import / export issues, but obj always seems to work).

For sculptures, relief carvings, create a displacement map of the carving you want, and then either make a normal map to fake the geometry, or use the high poly geometry itself:

Here’s something I did years ago:

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/403537

wow. Did you actually sculpt that with blender? many congratulations :slight_smile:
Basically I’d like to decorate chairs and tables, since the hall is among the most important buildings in the town and most presumably the richest…

No, it’s just a photo I enhanced a bit to bring out the dimensions, and then used it to displace a mesh. You can just use carved wood images to decorate the furniture - no need to even make high rez displacement based sculptures, as the rest of your building are low poly.

Here’s some of mine (mostly stone, but a few wood). I don’t maintain this site anymore, so everything is pretty old.

http://www.dougturner.net/blendersite/ornamentt.html

wow nice ones! So you just moved some faces to give it a 3d dimensions? yeah I want to keep everything quite low poly, not to kill my laptop. Though I’d like to give the viewer a 3d feeling while watching decorations… I want to make some lessons about medieval england and create a town, moving veeery slowly. I’ll be studying medieval history from october, so I’ll deepen my knowledge and inevitably modify some of my models :slight_smile: How is your market hall going?
And, may I use some of the decorations on your site? thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I deleted my market hall on accident. And the backup. Se the thread for full details…

Do you know what a normal map is?

Here’s a quick mockup I made of a book I modeled a while ago. It’s big, so be sure to look at it full size. It shows what the various maps do. Real time of course (it’s what I do…). Notice the subtle imperfections I gave the book. Few things in the real world have the precision of a computer. We, as 3d artists, must fight to remove that impossible perfection by purposefully damaging things in various ways, and by adding dirt and wear in a realistic manner. This does not mean a lot of geometry. For example, giving one of your building walls a few extra faces would allow you to give the wall some imperfections, like the spine of this book.

I should add that the diffuse map has baked ambient occlusion, so the final book material was created from 4 textures: Diffuse, Ambient Occlusion, Normal & Specularity.

Full Size (link):

http://www.turnercustomfurniture.com/ba/Low-Poly-Medieval-Book.jpg

http://www.turnercustomfurniture.com/ba/Low-Poly-Medieval-Book.jpg

as nice as always. Thanks, btw I’m not actually sure what a normal map is. As I told you, all I do is modelling something and then mapping it in UV map editor. Yeah if I want to be precise I scale up and down and move edges to fill the texture, but nothing more… I’d like to get deeper into it though

Well, a normal map is used to simulate surface details without having to model the details, as you can see in the book. If you have a look at the difference between the diffuse and diffuse + normal + spec, you’ll see the book appears to have a lot more detail than it really does, geometrically. Worth learning. I can show you.

yeah I’d definitely like to learn :slight_smile: thanks :slight_smile: :slight_smile: here’s the fireplace I modelled and enriched using your free textures (thanks)

Attachments

Coming along nicely. If I remember correctly you said, that you render with Cycles? The ornaments could use a little displacement. That is about the same as a normal map in Blender Internal (at least to my knowledge)

You’ve got a pretty sweet book there. :slight_smile:

Thanks Owldude. Just so you know, Manorial, thoise textures are from Oakland Park cemetary here in Atlanta, an old (for the states) cemetary with a lot of 19th century graves, and fantastic tombstones an mausoleums.

Nice ones, really. Anyway, how can I do those things? A normal map for instance? Can I dirt a little bit the textures staying in blender? I have darkened em a little bit in photoshop with the same tone of the sandstone but I know you can texture paint there in blender somehow