Mesh is going through random and erratic deformations that only show up when rendering

There appear to be some vertices that are suddenly jumping around all over the place. The weird part is that this only happens in render and not in the viewport. It also only occurs when I’m using the cycles render engine and not eevee. The only modifiers are the armature corrective smooth. I’ve tried fixing its normals, checking if there were any deformations on it, and just slapping on some smooth modifiers. The last of which helped but didn’t fix it.

link to blend file
video showing problem

The glitches seem semi-transparent. This suggests that they happen entirely in between frames and are showing up in the motion blur, so you wouldn’t see them in the viewport.

Does it happen without the corrective smooth? That modifier seems like it would be the most likely culprit.

1 Like

Your “this.001” material, used for your floor, is really weird. You’re using a video file as color, roughness, and bump. Your bump on it is really, really strong (distance 1.0.) I can’t help but notice that your preview doesn’t show the floor. I think we may be seeing some bizarre reflections, which of course show up only in Cycles because Eevee reflections are fake. You have this object hidden in both preview and render in your file, but I’m not sure how you’re rendering it, and the material is really, really weird.

I don’t know if frame 8 is one example of a frame at which you notice render-preview disagreement. When I compare Cycles preview to Cycles render on frame 8, I see no difference. When I render frames 7-9 and look at frame 8, again, no difference. But I don’t have the image textures. If frame 8 is not the frame we should be looking at, please let us know what frame would be better (youtube video doesn’t make it easy to know the time in frames.)

2 Likes

its 100% this. Thank you!

1 Like