Mesh to volume and exporting to a VDB file?

Well…mesh to volume is cool and all that, but this volume modifier doesn´t have a VDB cache to save out, at least not in blender 2,91 alpha

Anyone who knows if the absolute latest builds have implemented that?
I would like to give it a go and check how a mesh to volume would look like as vdb in another software.

version: 2.91.0 Alpha, branch: master, commit date: 2020-10-17 21:36, hash: f425f40c4e17, type: Release
build date: 2020-10-17, 23:08:35

1 Like

A saver like Lightwave has would be great, I would like to have the option to save out these blender mesh to volume to VDB files for Lightwave…when I need it, currently the VDB builds in blender are so unstable.

Sample image, nodal vdb control and vdb saver, from a displaced sphere mesh, to mesth to volume and saved out for import to blender, that works nicely, but no option currently in blender it seems to export A vdb result from mesh to volume, unless I have missed it?

1 Like

With Blender 3.3. there is possibility to export such volumes with USD exporter. OpenVDB file(s) will be created in volumes folder next to a exported .usd file.

I understand that this is not a proper solution an artist might expect but rather something connected to USD exporter itself but I just want to let you guys know there is now such an option.

Change: https://developer.blender.org/rBce3dd12371f5bd02eb64488712d8c529ffe62f6b

2 Likes

Thank´s,
I will look in to that, have yet to install 3.3 though.

Thank you very much pmakal.

Just installed 3.3 and tested this.
Worked nicely to export the vdb, tested in Lightwave as well, though VDB´s are best in performance and quality inside of blender with native multiple scattering.

Just in case I would need to render in Lightwave or if they actually do some development, but that´s another story.

I also want to test to add dynamics to it, maybe in blender…but initially testing to load it in to the openVDB tools in lightwave and process it with the gas solver.

Basic crappy no good quality test to see if it works only…

Basic metaballs converted to mesh…One could use plain geometry meshes of course…

Convert to volume…

Volume displaced…

Exported as usd, and located the VDB volume and loaded in to lightwave, noise and such intact…

1 Like