MESHmachine

This is such a cool addon and while not as flashy as DECALmachine it’s earned its fixed place in the toolset in about 30 minutes of using it.

Do you have any plans for saving chamfer selections? So one could up-res all bevels for example, or certain bevel groups? Batch operations?

Thank you…

I’ve made Fuse, Refuse, Unf*ck, ChangeWidth, QuadCorner and TurnCorner modals (optionally)

I have underestimated what a difference this makes. It’s magical. Working on the HUDs now.

Preview release coming tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks! These are excellent ideas. I’ll look into them in a bit.

Hello!

This is one of the best modeling tools! I use it in production right now when I’m doing modeling in Blender.
Thank you a lot!

I also reproduced “Change Width” in Houdini.
http://www.orbolt.com/asset/mifth::mifth_unbevel

But rebevel is impossible for my brain. :slight_smile:

Magical tool. Thank you!

I’ve added the preview release 0.5.5 to gumroad and blender market.

• add Average Tension setting for Fuse/Refuse
  • improve intersection handles (NEW/v.0.6)
  • add modal Fuse, Refuse, QuadCorner, Unf*ck
  • add modal HUDs
  • add Mark/Clear Loop, these are just freestyle edges for now
    • used to force certain edges as loop edges (if one is marked)
    • used to exclude certain edges from loop edges (if more than one is marked)
  • lower Unf*ck minimium vert count by one
  • support QWERTY/QWERTZ keyboard layouts
  • QWERTY: x key used for the MESHmachine menu
    • XX for delete
  • QWERTZ: y key used for the MESHmachine menu
    • YY for mesh split
  • modals can be turned on/off in the prefs
  • can also be turned on/off in the MESHmachine menu, if enabled
  • HUD position can be FIXED or FLOATING
  • HUD color can be changed in prefs
  • HUD hints can be turned on/off in prefs

Why didn’t any of you QWERTY keyboard users tell me how inconvenient the Y key is for you? Have you left it at Y? If you’ve changed it, to what key?

MESHmachine defaults to QWERTY now and maps the menu to X. this also makes Unf*ck accessible via XY insead of YX. For QWERTZ users, everything is as before. If you switch layouts, you need to restart Blender

I’ll get a video clip ready in a bit. I hope the HUDs are not too overwhelming.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m a big fan of your Mira tools and they made my transition from Modo much easier :slight_smile:
I’m happy to talk you through the inner workings of the tools if you want. Are you building tools in Houdiini with the nodes, via scripting, a combination of both?

Whooaaa, 5 Stars. Thanks. Revolutionairy!

1 Like

Y isn’t inconvenient at all to me as a QWERTY user. In fact, I’d say X is more annoying and will probably be changing it back to Y. :slight_smile:

Hmm, weird. But it can’t be as convenient as doing XF for fuse, or XD for Unfuse. That’s why most tools are precededed with letters that are all located on the left side of the keyboard.

On a QWERTY keyboard, doing YF or YD, seems not the most fluid. But if it’s fine for you, more power to you :slight_smile:

bought this the other day and it’s been very useful for the Unf*ck tool alone. one issue i have though is that i had a bevel around a shape and it said i couldn’t use circular selections [or such, i’m at work at the minute and can’t recall the exact phrase] - is it possible to add that feature?

The message is

Cyclic selections are not supported, aborting"

It’s not a matter of adding support for this, but a matter of you using the propper selection for a tool.
This message will pop up if you run Unfuse, Refuse or Unbevel on a cyclic chamfer selection. These tools expect a polystrip selection going across a bevel.

Note that to MESHmachine, on a topology level a non-cyclic chamfer selection looks the same as a polystrip going across a bevel. They are both polygon strips with a width of 1 polygon.

Compare the following two situations:

chamfer (non-cyclic, in this case, but could be cyclic too)

polystrip across bevel (can never be cyclic)

Tools Fuse, Change Width and Unchamfer are run on the first kind of selection. And this one can be cyclic without any issue.

Unfuse, Refuse and Unbevel are run on the second kind of selection. And this can never be cyclic.

I hope that clears things up

Works great except for the HUD text in modal that can be offscreen when the mesh is not centered. Would it be possible to have it at a fixed location or always visible?

Yes, I’ll look into it. You may want to set it to Floating. I use it like that.

Thank you too. ))
In houdini 95% are nodes. Python is needed in rare situations.

About Y menu…
What about W menu? To add the same menu as Looptools.
I’m gonna add miratools menu at W menu. Near the looptools.

You can already add it to the specials menu in the latest preview releases :slight_smile:
It’s added by default even.
The problem is, it adds one more keypress. Fuse becomes WMF, Unfuse WMD, etc.

It’s fine if you use the mouse to start the tools of course.

I’ve added the preview release 0.5.6 to gumroad and blender market.

• improve error handling
  • improve modals and HUDs
  • rename the NEW/v0.6 handle method to FACE and the OLD/v0.5 handle method to LOOP
  • basically, switch to LOOP when FACE fails
  • improve modal performance
  • fix projected_loop edge case, where the loop woud go in the wrong direction
  • add HUD Corner position
1 Like

awesome tool :slight_smile: you guys are steering Blender into a bright future!

I’ve added the preview release 0.5.9 to gumroad and blender market.

• add mouse wrap for all modals
  • add Tape tool
    • draws straight lines on curved surfaces on any angle
  • modal pen tablet support
    • adds ability to “scroll” using UP_ARROW/DOWN_ARROW and 1/2
  • add second keymap for object mode
    • Tape is in there
    • optionally object.delete() as well (QWERTY)
  • fix issue in Unbevel
  • remove show_modal_ops setting from prefs, which is obsolete since modality can be set individually per tool
  • add vertical offset to HUDs, if header region is minimized
  • add ability to reset the slide prop in Unchamfer/Unbevel modals using ALT + W
2 Likes