Metal texture not showing up

Hi,

I would like to render a simple metallic UV sphere on a plane, but unfortunately there is not much metal. I set up nodes according to a short YouTube tutorial, but apparently to no avail. :frowning: What did I do wrong here? I have attached the .blend file.

TIA,

Clausmetal.blend (673.5 KB)

your textures are missing.you can store the file if you click on fakeuser (marked red arrow)
and you need texturecoordinate vector for the textures.
the colorspace for data should be set to non color data,if its not the diffuse albedo map (these should be sRGB)

Thanks!

Claus

P. S.: I’m attaching the render (Cycles). The metallic effect is not so apparent here. Do I need a better texture? And what render engine should I use? Cycles (as in this case), or Eevee?

Claus

i have noticed, that you have pluged the albedo map, into the metal input.that is not the correct way.

if you dont have a metallness map (a black white mask where the metall appears),and the whole material should be metal, then just increase the metallic slider to 1.

here good texture sites

edit,cycles is more accurate,eevee is faster can give good results,but is sometimes a bit limited vs cycles

Thanks for your recommendations. I tried to look this up, but couldn’t find an albedo map. What is this? And where is this metallic slider?

Claus

Found it! :wink:

I deleted the metallic textures & set the metallic slider to 1. Now I would like to add a reflection map. How is this done?

Reflection map is the amount of reflection - for a metal that simply means plugging it into base color with matallic set to 1.

The albedo or diffuse color maps, are the base color.it contains just the color without reflections.these albedo/diffuse color maps, are in the most texture material packs, you can download.

Ok, I modified my .blend file somewhat & am attaching it, together with a render (Cycles). I tried to add an environment map that I painted in Gimp, but the result is still not what I’m looking for.

I would like to have some reflections on the sphere, just like this:

metal_4x

I tried to upload the .blend file, but the upload failed (26 MB). Instead, here’s a screenshot of the nodes:

Claus

env maps are for backround and backround lighting.if you are in shader mode switch from object to world.

there you can add a hdr texture to the backround node.here you can get good hdr files.

the reflection appearence, especially on a metallic surface,are depending on the surrounding lighting and objects ect.in example if you have only a black backround with one light,then you get a dark reflection with the mirrored light point.

its seems to me that you need to learn the basics,there a tons of tuts out there,grant abbitt has a good tut series
https://www.youtube.com/user/mediagabbitt

Hi,

and thanks for your recommendations. I am indeed a beginner, and I will look into the tutorials you suggested.

Claus