Minimap Help

I followed the following tutorial using video texture to create a minimap.

However, the performance hit that this takes to my logic is insane… is there a more resource friendly minimap tutorial?

if you want a more minimalistic minimap with icons and such, you could always render your level to a file from a camera looking down on itand use that.

If I understand you correctly, that would mean the entire level would have to fit on my minimap? I don’t know if that is feasible for some of my level plans. How would I incorporate icons into that? Could you perhaps give a slightly more detailed explaination (or have a tutorial link?)

Thanks!

i dont have a tutorial or something. You just use an image as the minimap. You can put that as a texture on a plane to show it and if you only want to show part of it, use UVs and pan those around according to where the player is. Since it’s an image you make beforehand have full control over what is on it but you can’t change it on the fly easily.

I can’t seem to find anything in the api to pan the texture UV’s… can you point me in the right direction? Also, would the icons be separate objects above the image plane that would only need to rotate based on player rotation?