Mist and Use Blender Materials

Hello, I have another question…:rolleyes:

How can I get the mist effect avaliable when we are using materials and shaders in the game engine?

or there is no possible?

Hmm. I’m not sure what you mean by shaders. Mist works for me with or without materials on.(slow though)

I mean that I cannot use the mist (option in world buttons to simulate fog/mist) when I activate the option “Use blender materials” in the “Game” menu :confused:, so my question is if there is another way to get the mist working, even with materials in the game engine.

Sorry, I can’t tell you what might be wrong. It works OK with me (2.44). There are adjustments below the ‘mist’ button, but I’m sure you already tried that. If you can access another computer, I would try the .blend in that. If you want, you can upload an example .blend and I (or anyone else) can verify if it’s working or not. It could be your video card???

*I hope you do realize that turning on mist dramatically slows down your game. I can’t even use it because it’s sooo slow.

Good luck.

EDIT: OK, I double-checked. For me, mist works with halos, materials on, lightmaps, mippmapping, and .exe – you name it. I also wanted to comment that when you make an .exe, mist doesn’t hurt the framerate too bad. I’m impressed!!! Holy cow! I might have to use mist. I never thought it was an option because of the slow framerate.

Hi Mataii. Me too!

I wasn’t able to make Mist works with objects inside GLSL scripts. :s

Hi,
an other possibility of creating fog you can find in an example of Mike Pan:

http://mpan3.homeip.net/page?games > Stone henge in the fog.

I had not so much time to look, how it is exactly done. But I remembered it as a quite atmospheric solution. It is probably also a bit faster on slow machines.

Good luck!

Sadly, Mike Pan download link for Stone Henge is broken. I tried to copy and paste the link and it also doesn’t work.

EDIT: Sorry guys it was just my Firewall. Thanks for the link Jonash! The solution from Mike Pan is very clever, and works with GLSL scripts. Its is a very basic setup with alpha maps.

Yes it works but because there are no materials with GLSL scripts working :frowning:

here are som screenshots with GLSL materials and only texture mapped objects …

With normal maps/specular/light map. Mist not working

Texture maps (use blender materias option deactivated) and mist is working

Attachments