Mistwood Chapel

Mistwood Chapel, An ancient chapel standing alone amidst nature, whispering tales of old through the morning mist.

This 3D scene features the Urnes Stave Church on a rugged hillside surrounded by rolling hills embraced in mist. A winding path leads up to the church, surrounded by plants and two trees.

The Urnes Stave Church, with its wooden architecture, stands out in the middle, surrounded by greenery. There’s a soft mist rising from the valley, adding a mysterious vibe, and birds flying overhead. Beside the church, there are also a shovel, a pickaxe, and an oil lantern, adding to the scene’s detail.

I first discovered the Urnes Stave Church and was inspired to create a scene around it. While searching for more photos, I found out that one of my favorite artists, William Faucher, had also done a project on this church. I wanted to create something different, blending elements from both his work and the real place, but with my own twist.

I made the entire scene using Blender and textured the church in Adobe Substance Painter. The plants and two trees were created with Blender and SpeedTree. For the landscape, I mixed several texture sets and made a lot of tweaks using Blender’s nodes to achieve a more realistic look.

I set up two different lighting scenarios:
a realistic daytime and a realistic moonlight version. The lighting for the daytime was done with a customized HDRI texture and a volumetric atmosphere. For the moonlight, I used a simple background node with a moonlight color and a few other types of lights. The sky has different textures to match each version’s mood. Then, using Photoshop, I achieved a third, more fantasy look.

Finally I rendered everything with Cycles in Blender.

A special thanks to my best friend, @Martaa , who inspired me to use proper volumetric mist. She also suggested the moonlight lighting, which I hadn’t thought of initially. Her ideas inspired me to make additional changes to the grass colors and apply some color grading in Photoshop for a final touch.

I hope you liked it!

59 Likes

Wow, the 3rd and 4th are my favourite as it they have awesome atmosphere. Very well done! Great lighting.

1 Like

glad you liked it

These are stunning! The composition impeccable too, I love them! Exceptional work, deserves way more attention!

1 Like

Damn, this is good. Especially the night version. :star_struck: :+1:

1 Like

Great atmosphere!

1 Like

That really a nice render you have there especially the atmosphere in the night scene😍. And thank you for breakdown for the lighting gave me inspiration for the scene that Im working on now.

1 Like

wow, thank you for your kind words!

1 Like

I love your artwork, they always have such a nice atmosphere to them. :star_struck: :+1: :blender_logo_64_png:

1 Like

Thanks😍! It seems everyone prefers the night version, and that’s all thanks to my best friend @Martaa’s idea.

1 Like

thanks a lot :cloud:

Thanks! I’m glad you liked the render and found the lighting breakdown helpful.

1 Like

This mysterious sight is stunning, you are doing great :comet:

1 Like

thanks to you for the night idea💙

Wow this is terrific!! The transition between day and night is chilling!

1 Like

you are so kind thank you!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

thank you so much Bart

2 Likes