Model Something

I’m currently working on writing up a fairly comprehensive description of what I envision for the weekend challenge contests. I’ll post it later today, sometime in the next twelve hours.

For now, I’ll just mention what I’m aiming for: do anything you want, using any technique you like, so long as the final image is in some way related to the theme. The theme (I’m beginning to dislike “topic” - it sounds too constraining…) is intended more as a starting point, than a destination. For example, instead of a very narrow topic like “a futuristic portable CD player”, a much broader , one or two word theme like “music” would be better, allowing for greater variety, and hopefully more surprises in the entries. Other possibilities for a theme could be something like an image, or even a sound.

By determining the winner by a poll, the voters themselevs decide on the final requirements. I think we’ll end up with the criteria mentioned at the top of this thread: “Something Cool”.

I would think that the regularity of a weekly contest will ease some of the pressure to compete, since if you don’t have much time this weekend (other projects or real life), there’s always next week’s challenge. The idea is that these things are a short diversion if you have nothing else to do, or the theme has inspired you. This should be fun, not stressful :slight_smile:

I’ve thought about voting for topics, but that takes some of the surprise out of competing. If you see a list of several possible topics a couple of days before one is selected, you get a couple of extra days to think about them. I like the idea that 5 minutes before entry submissions open, prospective competitors still have no idea what they’re about to start modelling :slight_smile:

More detailed info will follow soon…

me was just kidding :smiley:

Stefano

Maybe, but it was still worth considering.

It’s taking a little longer than expected to write up the full details. It may be another day or so before they’re ready.

Short version:

• theme posted at 2300 GMT Thursday
  • entries close, voting starts at 2300 GMT Monday
  • voting closes, winner announced at 2300 GMT Wednesday

This gives everybody at least half a day before the weekend, and at least half a day after.

And here’s an excerpt from the full details:

i love the idea.

the anything goes will sort out any kind of arguements

cant wait

Sounding very doable so far

Already have a theme in mind, it would be an interesting one for how open-end this contest is sounding, me thinks

Will past work be out of the question? I’m guessing so 8)

Anything goes.

This is something that’d be impossible to prevent. I’d hope that someone submitting a mostly recycled image would mention that fact on the entry, but there’s not much that can be done about it. And considering that there’re no tangible prizes and virtually nothing at stake, there’s not much point worrying about this too much.

This is a small part of why the winner is not allowed to enter when they’ve chosen the theme.