Modeling a drip tray

Hello
i would like to model this drip tray to have it 3D printed later.

i tried with bezier curves and taper object to model one quater, but it gives me bad artifacts in the corners.
What would be the best approach?

Attachments

Best approach? Work with the Subsurf modifier.

The general shape of that thingie is quite simple. You start from a plane, extrude the contour up, scale up, extrude, scale, extrude, scale, etc… Until you have a very schematic representation. Check the normals, add a Subsurf modifier and then some edge loops to straighten the parts which need it. The Subsurf modifier will make the rest round and smooth.

You don’t need a lot of geometry so you can crank up the Subsurf to level 4 or 5. And you can get something like this in no time:

On the left, the raw shape with flat shading. On the right, the same thing with smooth shading, Subsurf level 4… and a matcap.

When you’re really satisfied with the shape, you add a Solidify modifier before the Subsurf. Set the Thickness to what you need, activate “Even Thickness” and apply. (It’s a good idea to use another material with another color so you can hide everything except what Blender just created… to fix it. (There might be some overlapping areas.)

And you export. That’s all. There’s an option somewhere to automatically apply the modifiers to the exported shape so you don’t need to do it for real.

Hi Kaluura,
Thx you so much for these steps. It worked perfectly and I learned a lot in blender modeling this basic shape.