Modeling Cloth Addon for Blender 2.8

You can get a 2.8 build and download the addon free if you want to play with it.

1 Like

Oh yes, I work in 2.8. On another project, no time at the moment. Once I start fooling around, I will lose hours, if not days Iā€™m sureā€¦lol.

Thank you!

@Richcolburn

Thanks for the Numpy tuts, I loved those tuts. I hope you make more advanced tuts on Numpy.

1 Like

Is it possible to achieve this result?

I think afx is working on something similar.

https://twitter.com/AFX_LAB/status/1135887216364752896

4 Likes

Can do that with grab tool and forcesā€¦
By the way I think thatā€™s possible by using sculpting, too
(Well, almost) :wink:

That should be super easy to do with the modeling cloth addon. So yes. Just turn the velocity way down and use the grab tool

3 Likes

Amazing tool! I wish to try it. Crashing periodically and doesnā€™t start simulation at all.

version: 2.80 (sub 74), branch: blender2.7, commit date: 2019-06-06 23:23, hash: aa003c73245f, type: Release
build date: 2019-06-07, 00:08:40
platform: Linux

I love it! Easy to use and good, predictable results. Never liked working with Blenderā€™s cloth system, it just takes ages to get the desired result and blows up in your face all the time.

For my first attempt I created something like a seat. First I modeled the shape that would also be my collider:

Hereā€™s the actual cloth mesh:

Modeling Cloth applied:

Solidify + Subsurf gives a nice stitching effect:

All done with just a few clicks. It would look much better with a more even polygon sizes, of course.

However I did run into the issue that it would just stop working any more. Sadly I canā€™t say at which point that happened. Got it back to work after creating a new cube, joining my mesh with it and deleting the original cubeā€™s vertices. Several Blender restarts were also involved, so I also canā€™t really say how exactly I solved it. Iā€™ll get back to you once I got something more useful. Going to have a lot of fun with this one. :slight_smile:

Edit: after saving and re-opening the Blender file and clicking Reset I got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender 2.8\2.80\scripts\addons\Modeling-Cloth-2_8-master\ModelingCloth28.py", line 2711, in execute
    reset_shapes()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender 2.8\2.80\scripts\addons\Modeling-Cloth-2_8-master\ModelingCloth28.py", line 604, in reset_shapes
    data[ob.name].vel[:] = 0
KeyError: 'Cube'

Also the shape keys appear to be broken. Tried removing the keys, pin vertex group and re-applying Modeling Cloth onto the mesh but nothing happens when clicking Continuous update.

edit2:
Found out how to get it back working again: I just needed to de- and reactivate the Collider button on my collision object.

2 Likes

This addon looks very interesting so I just wanted to try it out but all I get are crashes. Thatā€™s the error on the command line:

Imported Modeling Cloth
register_class(ā€¦):
Warning: ā€˜Modeling Clothā€™ doesnā€™t contain ā€˜PTā€™ with prefix & suffix
new=======================================
Error : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Address : 0x00007FF6DCEF8940
Module : C:\Blender\blender-2.80-030c7df19da9-win64\blender-2.80.0-git.030c7df19da9-windows64\blender.exe

I am running blender 2.8 win64 from today (10 Jun 2019) and the addon fresh from github. All I did was adding a plane and moving it above the default cube. I scaled it up a little and added some subdivisions. The I set ā€œcolliderā€ for the default cube and started ā€œcontinuous updateā€ on the plane -> crash. Without a collider I can use the grab tool on the plane. Maybe there is something broken with the collider in the lates 2.8 versions?

Just downloaded the latest build of 2.8
Itā€™s clearly broken now. Iā€™ll be working on it. Iā€™ll post here when Iā€™ve got it working again.

6 Likes

btw you will keep updating 2.79 version?

many thanks for your effort. I will try it again when the issue is fixed.

2 Likes

I just posted an update that I think will get it working again in the latest 2.8 builds. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a bug in Blender 2.8
Had to disable some stuff in the collider objects.

https://github.com/the3dadvantage/Modeling-Cloth-2_8/archive/master.zip

5 Likes

Created a tutorial for basic clothing:

8 Likes

Tried using the addon again today and it just wonā€™t work on some meshes for whatever reason (Blender 2.8 version: 2019-06-11 23:43, hash: rB6529d20d79a5). Clicking continuous update doesnā€™t do anything and Reset gives an error:

File "C:\Program Files\Blender 2.8\2.80\scripts\addons\Modeling-Cloth-2_8-master\ModelingCloth28.py", line 2711, in execute
    reset_shapes()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender 2.8\2.80\scripts\addons\Modeling-Cloth-2_8-master\ModelingCloth28.py", line 602, in reset_shapes
    data[ob.name].vel[:] = 0
KeyError: 'Plane.001'

However, it does work on a newly created planeā€¦

edit: I uploaded the object I canā€™t get to work, maybe thereā€™s some tiny detail that breaks the whole thing?

clothObject.blend (1.0 MB)

Looks like you found a genuine article real life bug.
I think I fixed it.
Thanks for the blend file. I never would have caught it otherwise.

Try it again and let me know.

Peace love and robot kittens!

https://github.com/the3dadvantage/Modeling-Cloth-2_8/archive/master.zip

3 Likes

Seems to work now, thanks! Sorry for the late reply, looks like I need to check my notification settingsā€¦

Hi,

Problem when doing pin verts
Blender 2.8 Rc1

File ā€œC:\Users\UmarOne\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\Modeling-Cloth-2_8-master\ModelingCloth28.pyā€, line 2703, in execute
closest = matrix * ob.active_shape_key.data[v].co# * matrix
TypeError: Element-wise multiplication: not supported between ā€˜Matrixā€™ and ā€˜Vectorā€™ types

Also did a remove and install

Then got this when trying again to pin verts in the mesh.

File ā€œC:\Users\UmarOne\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\Modeling-Cloth-2_8-master\ModelingCloth28.pyā€, line 2703, in execute
closest = matrix * ob.active_shape_key.data[v].co# * matrix
TypeError: Element-wise multiplication: not supported between ā€˜Matrixā€™ and ā€˜Vectorā€™ types

When I assign the verts to the pin vertex group "manully it works

When did you download blender 2.8?
Iā€™m not able to get the same errorā€¦
It might be something changed in the build.