Modeling Flowers in Geometry nodes (Hyacinth)

Hi! I recently started a project where I want to model a variety of flowers to make a tribute to spring. Everything was going great, until I stumbled upon a wall. I hope someone here can figure this out and help out a fellow Blenderer:

The flower in question is a Hyacinth:
REFERENCE:

As I wanna animate the flowers blooming, I’m building controls for the bloom and a control over the plants stem height.
A good reference to this is the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwntDLAAxsQ

So the modeling of the flower itself is very straight forward and I came up with something like this:

The Bloom amount is controlled by this slider:

That single slider controls the shape of the petal, their rotation and the size of the pistils, when slider is in zero it looks like this:

All good so far, then I instance the flowers on the stem and this is where things start to get tricky:

As you can see, the flowers get smaller the closer they are to the top (this is very easy to achieve). However, the flowers not only need to get smaller but they also have to Bloom in that same order, from bottom to top. A desired look would be something like this:

So this is where the issue lies, since my blooming control affect the flower shape BEFORE it gets instanced, I’m wondering how I can map that same control over the Stem Factor. I was trying out different methods with attribute transfers etc. but were not able to make it happen. I just started experimenting with geo nodes so I’m not an expert you see. Anyways, here is the file if you wanna have a look!
Here a CG Peony to lighten up your day:

Cheers!

Roman B

Here the Blend file:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2egecs69bmh2ib/AAADeJK2Rji1Wg52NxkoFPb-a?dl=0

PS: Shout out to Chong 3D for his awesome Geometry nodes tutorials! Go check him out on youtube.

3 Likes

Unfortunately you can’t control individual instanced object modifier settings inside geo nodes editor, you need to use different approach.

One way of doing it would be to create 2 instanced flowers one closed and other opened and transfer position attribute, and mixing them using spline parameter. The problem with that materials will break and opened and closed flower have to have identical amount of vertices (had to disconnect “Trim Curve” node from flower).

Flower_Hyacinth mix position.blend (245.4 KB)

The other approach would be to duplicate many flowers and have different amount of bloom set to them and instance a collection with pick instance option

Flower_Hyacinth collection instance.blend (247.3 KB)

Hope this help

3 Likes

This is awesome! Thanks a lot for your reply and your time. I’m definitely going to try the second approach, I hope it holds up in the animation phase :slight_smile:
Cheers!

1 Like