Modeling from SVG import

Hi! Didn’t mean to jump into the deep end of the pool… The material that Blender users create is astonishing. I’m just wading in, although I’ve used Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects and other apps for years (anyone remember Adlus Freehand and Pagemaker?). Simple question: I have a complex SVG file generated from AI and I want to extrude “holes” in the surface (all the circles for the holes are in the SVG)… The attached illustration is a simplification of the requirement. Does anyone have suggestions on the simplest way to accomplish this in Blender? Thank you for any guidance.! Circle-to-cylinder|599x260Simple example

just do it directly in blender very simply to do !
forget importing SVG for such a simple model

happy bl

but for complex model, tool needs to “get aware”, you must define inner VS outer area (ie. by connecting points, making guiding edges, polys, especially with multi- n-sided objects, then you can auto-fill in the rest)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

I didn’t mention that there are thousands of “holes”, not in any particular pattern…

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I guess I would say the SVG file doesn’t depict a “complex model”, but there are thousands of “holes” (circles) in a non-uniform pattern.

I will ive into you’re the steps you describe below!

do you have it under another format like STL ?
there are external programs that work much faster then Blender to make mesh

can you show us the 3D model !

happy bl

Well, I tried. Not sure I can correct the problem of being a “new user”.

We’re sorry, but your email message to [“replies+bb98d5aef3ef50018eec488beb54e33c@notifications.blenderartists.org”] (titled RE: [Blender Artists Community] [Support/Basics & Interface] Modeling from SVG import) didn’t work.

Reason:

Sorry, new users can’t put attachments in posts.

If you can correct the problem, please try again.

Not sure if the message was delivered, but could not post STL file because I’m a new user.

what size is it ?
how many verts too in STL file ?

if large may have to find some site that can handle large size file for free

but can you show pic of it may be here ?

happy bl

use any file share / host provider & link here :wink: