Modeling hair

Hey,

what’s the best practice to create semirealistic hair? I dont want to use particles since the model will be used in realtime graphics.
How do I simulate the movement of the hair… should I use a cloth modifier for that?
I modeled a mesh to add some details later (like shown in the attachment). But I gues there are better ways…

Thank you :slight_smile:

Attachments

I’m guessing this is for a game with you saying realtime rendering. Typically game hair is quite simple so you have made a good start as your mesh is very low poly. You could get away with adding a little more which may be helpful. To begin with I suggest you texture it to see what it looks like then you have a better idea what to do. I suspect it will be beneficial to add some hair planes at the front of your mesh. This is because you have the hair flowing quite simply around the sides. It may not look so good from the front which is a focal point of a human (face). Look at some photos of people with medium side parted hair and try and recreate the front on a hair style you like the look of. It will also help as your hair planes are rounded and it will be very noticable from the front view. Your hair planes seperate quite early too, you may be able to see too much of the head/skull. You could try and fill the gaps or repostion what you have. However texturing the mesh will give you a better idea. The mesh and the texture work together and both must be done well or it just won’t look right. Also look at game hair tutorials to learn to make different types of hair. Side parting hair is how most people start but other styles can look nicer.

When I have seen flowing hair in games its either from the in game movie which is an animation or repeatitive movement which is an animation clip. It may be created with physics but I think you will need to make an animation clip for your hair if thats what you want to do. Personal I think you should think about that later and concentrate on getting the hair looking nice.

Generally the right approach though so good luck

Yeah, you’re on the right track it looks like. For animation I think it’s probably just easiest to rig some bones in there and animate it. You can do sim baking stuff too I suppose, but I usually don’t find it necessary.

Here are a couple hair links I have handy:
Here (warning: mild artistic nudity) is a good list of hair methods.
Here is a pretty good, albeit old, video for polygon hair in Blender. (shows basically what you already did)

Hey… thank you very mutch for the reply. I am gonne watch the links for inspiration. I thought about starting over again an try to build the mesh out of Bezier curves to get a better shape.