Modeling Modern Sonic

Thanks guys! I have another question. In the videos so far, he is just sticking the arms into the body, the legs into the shoes, etc. IIRC, it’s not good to just stick objects into one another. (I think Blender Guru explained this during his Donut tutorial) But for them to actually connect. Is this going to be a problem if he doesn’t fix it when I begin to rig?

Depends. For an inanimate object that is rendered with opaque materials, like a doughnut, it doesn’t matter much. Intersecting geometry without deleting whole faces left inside just has a bit of extra geometry. That geometry might take too much space on UV’s for no reason. Both of which could be solved by deleting most of the geometry inside.

But wouldn’t want to connect the geometry for that purpose, there’s no reason for it. If the model was for 3D printing and the slicing software can’t interpret intersecting geometry, then those would have to be connected if they are meant to be printed as one.

For rigging it also depends on what the model part is, how it’s supposed to deform and how it’s rigged. If the parts inside and outside has to deform the same (hand in a glove), it’s easier if they’re connected. If they don’t deform, or they move independent of each other, then it doesn’t matter.

Thanks for all the replies! (And sorry for replying late, I read them but I didn’t just want to bump this topic for no good reason)

Edit 4-28-17: Removed older content
Update 4-24-17: I think it’s finished. The next few tutorials will go over rigging.

Edit 4-28-17: To be honest I want to replicate official models or make something even better. But I’ve tried asking other Sonic modelers and for the most part, seem to ignore me. =/

I’m determined that it’s best to make a Sonic from scratch rather than just download but at the same time I want it to be the best quality. I’m really stubborn when it comes to some things. I know I just made a Sonic model but it’s nowhere close to what I actually want it to look like. I don’t want to just stop here, it feels undone. I want it perfected.

I figure that I need to learn textures and UV mapping. I’ve seen some tutorials on Youtube, even skimmed through some but I don’t fully understand it yet. Guess I will keep researching for now.

I have a goal in mind to make something similar to a seen animated short:

that is tight work. if next time you model something organic, my recommendation is do it with the sculpt tools and go to a very detailed level. then when you retopo just put quads at the silhouete of everything (like horns, snouts, etc) and fill in-between, that way you get evenly spaced quads and a good retopo. For complex parts just follow contours, like the nostrils of a nose are easier to do following around creases/holes.

Cheers, my first sonic model was a lot cheaper, you get better with time. I do now environment modelling just for the sake of learning (very hard too).

<message deleted>

Attachments

Hey Sakura, a year and half ago I had to go through the similiar journey as you did. I’m a Sonic fan too, and the tutorial series of modelling Sonic in blender, provided on the previous page, were my first introduction to Blender.
This model sheet of Shadow is good enough to be used. You don’t have to perfectly stick to the sprite sheet, it just needs to provide you enough info about how you should place your meshes and verticies. In fact, I personally enjoy using some of the fan made art as reference image, since they can provide you with the more realistic and natural look of the characters. Of course, it depends on a style you want to make them in.
I also believe in order to get the eyes made as they are in the last videogames, it is good to use UV Project modifier. I have tested some of it a long time ago, but since then never went back to make new Sonic characters models, exept for the Metal Sally, which I want to perfectly model, texture, animate, render and upload on youtube one day for my portfolio: - WIP -

<message deleted>

Vardas, could you share how you got to where you are now? Did you take a class or what tutorials you used?

Are there any custom/more advanced complicated Sonic running animation Blender tutorial? Not just simple,basic walking animation cycles?

is this your model? if so are you open to linking it?