Modelling a Lancer?

Good God, I feel like a whiny noob who wants everyone to help them out, but… I’d love to model this weapon from the video game Gears of War:
http://hushedcasket.com/files/lancer.jpg

How would I go about modelling this?? I’m not too good at independant modelling outside of tutorials, so any guidelines, tips, methods of modelling one of the parts? Thanks, all help is appreciated, no matter how small. (It will just be appreciated less…jk;))

the best tools for this project whoud be W --> a lot of time and Alt+R --> a lot of patience^^

I would break it down into pieces and then combine them…maybe use the pic in the background and go from there

Break it apart. And start with one detail and go from there.
Like do the handle with trigger first then do the barrel etc…
Use knife cut and loop cut and just have fun. If it is no fun stop and do something else.

That image appears to be low poly but well textured.

@Lancer: Yes, this Lancer (lol) is a low poly version, the actual ingame one is either a higher poly version or too small to be able to tell the difference.

@Musk&Calvin: That seems like good advice to break it down! I was actually thinking of doing the handle first, it should be the easiest part. What does the knife cut do? I’'ve heard it so many times but never took the time to learn about it

@Sabaku: Ok, I’ll learn about those tools in the manual then!^^

EDIT: Searching for other reference pics, I found THIS!
That is crazy. Read through it and try not to say wow. If you’re lazy, see the first and last pictures and read the first stuff on what it is.

Hi Commiecomrade

I like the project.

I think a would first model a very basic shape of the gun, without any details (even without the trigger) and then add details as seperate objects.

And yeah it will really pay off to learn the knife tool, cause it is a really usefull tool.

Good luck, and post some pics of the process

Hi Commiecomrade

I like the project.

I think a would first model a very basic shape of the gun, without any details (even without the trigger) and then add details as seperate objects.

And yeah it will really pay off to learn the knife tool, cause it is a really usefull tool.

Good luck, and post some pics of the process

OK, here’s the handle/grip/thingy!

Attachments

The knife tool comes in variing form. Exact, Midpoint etc… all accessible through the k submenu.
Basically the knife cut introduces new edges in a model. You select the edges you want to cut and then draw with the knife tool across them. Depending on the mode you selected the edges you drew over get cut in two edges, that are still connected. It basically does the same as teh loop cut tool Ctrl+R only that it doesn’t use a loop but a single drawn line. Be careful though as blender is only capable of tris and quads results are not always what you expect.
See http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Edge_and_Face_Tools for detail explanations and examples.

Thank you Musk, that IS a really useful tool! I might work on another part, then post it tomorrow. How would I get all those details, though? I only have a side view, there’s nothing else on the internet for a reference, and those little details are something I just don’t know how to tackle.

Well you need to add the needed vertices and then start pushing them around.

I would try starting GoW with 3DAnalyzer on in wireframe mode and make some screenshots of the wireframe model… :smiley: