Modelling my own head.

http://www.bogartshwadchuck.com/blog/files/bogarthead_front.jpg

So, the above is where I settled after the second day of work on the model. For reference, below is a screencapture of the first day’s results (with the photos included so you can compare the result to my actual face)

http://www.bogartshwadchuck.com/blog/files/bogartheadscreencap.jpg

This is my… second week working with Blender, I think? Possibly the third. Anyways, this was my first attempt at an organic shape. I think it’s coming along not too badly so far. Obviously there’s still a lot of problems, most noticably around the bridge of the nose, which is all sunken and terrible. I’m aware that’s problem #1 and not too difficult to fix, this is just the state at which I had to call it quits for the night. You can’t see them from this angle, but the ears are basically terrible. (I’ll update this post with some other angles so you can see the crappy ears and whatnot when I’m at home, right now that photo’s all I have online). The eyes are also an issue, since that’s where I started modelling, and I didn’t give them a realistic curvature, so when I tried to stick eyeballs in at the end, you could see around the eyeballs through the corners of the flat sockets. I also have a feeling I had waaay too many vertices going on from the beginning, and as a result the model is pretty lumpy and uneven, which theoretically should be OK since it’s organic, but it definitely feels too lumpy.

Feel free to make critiques or suggestions. This model was meant as a learning project, so anything that’ll help me do better on my next attempt will be appreciated.

I think its REALY good for the second or third week in blender! around the bridge of the nose try selecting the vertices that are making it look “bumpy” (not sure if that would be the right word) and smooth them by clicking under editing, mesh tools, then click smooth. see if you like the turn out of that. if you dont you can always try other things (I have no alternitives though someone else may) good luck. Also try this to get the lumps out of the rest of the head. :slight_smile:

The nose bridge really needs to be adjusted manually, I think, it’s the fact that it’s all wedged in past the eyebrow ridges, rather than a lumpiness problem…

… however I did try that mesh smooth function and that’s definitely the solution I needed for the lumpy cheeks/skull resulting from too many manually placed vertices! I haven’t really experimented with the mesh tools yet, but I will definitely be putting that one to use now, so thanks for pointing it out!

I also noticed in another thread that there’s an automatic mirroring/seam-fusing function that would eliminate the need for me to manually fuse the two halves every time I want to see what it looks like :expressionless: I’ll have to employ that on the unfused version I saved.

No time to work on the model today, but tomorrow I’ll try to smooth out the lumps, fix the nose, curve the eye sockets and post an updated version.

I also have a feeling I had waaay too many vertices going on from the beginning,…

It’s been said before but it can’t be said too often, check out Torq’s “Better Face Tutorial”.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21066&highlight=face+tutorial

Read the whole thread before asking questions since most have already been answered there. Torq’s approach ensures your fundamental loop structure is correct. Once you have that basis, adding geometry is relatively straight forward.

With regards to your nose, I often find it easier to switch subsurf off and move vertices in that mode than to try and fix things with subsurf on. It can be surprising at times to find where a vertex really is situated and why it’s causing so much trouble. Then I turn subsurf back on again to check how things look and make minor mods.

Update:

http://www.bogartshwadchuck.com/blog/files/bogarthead_front_2.jpg

It may be a little oversmoothed now, but I eliminated some of the recessed nose issues, and the flat eye sockets (which are now wrapped around the eyes). I’m going to have to tweak some of the detail back in, because my face is obviously not this smooth :frowning: