Moderator?

How do i become a moderator, and what makes it better then just being a normal member?

Moderators moderate. That doesn’t necessarily make them better than normal members, but they have the privilege of locking threads and banning users.

As for becoming one … well, you’d have to stick around for longer and be more helpful to others, but even then it’s hard to tell if you can become one.

Do you have to have a certain number of posts?

Nope. Moderation is by invite only. Hang around, become a fixture in the community, and prove yourself to be a mature and trustworthy individual, and someday you might become a moderator.

It’s not anything particularly fun, and really just amounts to more responsibility. It’s certainly nothing to concern yourself over.

Indeed it is.

Post count isn’t relevant, otherwise Kansas would have been a moderator long ago, and we’d all have to profess to being dragons.

Moderating is generally a thankless, time consuming job, and when the current moderators feel the need to increase their numbers, either from the site growing, or moderators moving on to other things, they will invite individuals from the community to join them.

Moderators can lock threads and ban users. When they look for more people, they will look for people who can handle that kind of power responsibly. They also look for people they can work with, since they meet from time to time privately, to discuss what’s going on and how to handle it.

The only way it can be considered “better” than being an ordinary user, is that it is, to a certain extent, an “in-crowd.” But if you’re the sort of person who thinks being part of an insider clique to be a perk, you probably will never be invited to join.

I’m a moderator/administrator at www.openworldfilm.com (OWF). Regarding it being a “thankless, time consuming job” I would beg to differ as at OWF I get a lot of non-material pychological boosts in having like minded folks chip in to our objective. The project co-ordinator CJ Maynard will make anyone a moderator, as long as they display the attributes quoted earlier.

I would agree with the second comment of Orinoco. Being an insider is no perk at OWF - as I have disagreed with other “moderators” in the past of the OWF and it is no fun. I would expect the same to be at the Blenderartists and have seen at least one post that in my opinion a “mature” moderator (not plantperson - that dude cool) should not have made.

Given the opportunity myself of being a moderator - I would consider it, although I freely admit, of the three thousand and then some posts I have made here - only ten in my opinion are “moderator” worthy. Never mind - I will make 10,000 more posts and then I will 30 worthy posts - not a bad ratio you reckon ?

Here’s a tip, you have to be active and helpful and not break the rules at all. You have to have a clean sheet, one stain and you can kiss the chance goodbye.

Post count isn’t relevant, otherwise Kansas would have been a moderator long ago, and we’d all have to profess to being dragons

I have understanding that us Otherkin Dragons are only in the very small minority of the population, as in only a very small minority actually have Dragon souls, I’m the only Dragon here who’s quite active as I see it, because virtually all of the other Dragons want to stick with Photoshop.

Well, I read into 3D Geek’s post that he was asking "How do i become a moderator at BlenderArtist, and what makes it better then just being a normal member of BlenderArtist? Which of course is an assumption on my part, since 3D Geek didn’t actually get specific as to where he wanted to be a moderator. OWF is a much more recent site, smaller and much more task oriented than Blender Artists is, so I’d expect the experience to be different.

Taken to the extreme, all you have to do to become a moderator is to head over to Blogspot.com and start up your own blog. Since you are also the administrator, you get to decide what perks the moderator gets vs normal member perks, assuming you can attract normal member participation.

However, that’s all just my impression, as a normal member here, of what it’s like to be a moderator. If any moderator cares to post about “life on the inside” I certainly would thank him for it, but that would be time consuming. :stuck_out_tongue:

…virtually all of the other Dragons want to stick with Photoshop.

Nominated for the Salvadore Dali award. :wink:

Point taken - I should have placed your response in context to Mssr. 3D Geek query.

Given by the number of threads of people begging for their posts to be approved, I guess the mods could use some help right now…