Modern Blender Game Engine (Cycles,nodes, Eevee, etc.) Using Chat GBT Project?

My thoughts from a non coder/programmer

I want to start a community project using AI to assist in writing the code. To basically bring back a modernized, up-gradable version of the Blender Game Engine. I have a vision of it being fully modular, using nodes,geometry nodes, uses PB, ties in seamless with Cycles, Eevee etc. Pardon the pun but a add on that seamlessly talks to a meshes with Blender. Same UI structure and controls. Updates to keep it in lockstep with mainline blender. Like tight integration. Having, or adding or the ability more advance game engine features.

I’m thinking with we can use AI to help wright some of the code, do a lot of the heavy lifting.
I think of engine were you can integrate grease pencil, or be able to over take the Godot engine, Maybe if done properly it could be a decent open source alternative to Unreal you know?

Im not a coder or programmer, I just have a vision ,and want to see if we could pull something like this off!! Below I will post some response from Chat GBT when I asked about this. Its a place to start! And I know a game engine is no joke. Even if we cant do it, maybe it can be something to propose to the folks working on blender?

Chat GBT Response
To begin, you would need a thorough understanding of both the original Blender Game Engine and the current rendering engines, Cycles and Eevee. You would also need experience in developing Blender plugins and working with 3D graphics and game engines.

Here’s a general outline of steps you might consider:

1. Requirements Analysis: Define the features and capabilities you want to bring to the modernized game engine. Consider what aspects of Unreal Engine and Unity you want to compete with and how you can implement those features within Blender.
2. Architecture Design: Plan how the new plugin will integrate with Blender’s existing architecture. Determine how the new rendering engines will be used and how they will interact with the game logic.
3. Code Development: Start developing the plugin by writing code to bridge the gap between the original game engine and Cycles/Eevee. This may involve adapting existing game engine code or writing new code from scratch.
4. User Interface: Design an intuitive user interface for managing the game development process, including setting up scenes, materials, lighting, and interactions.
5. Testing and Iteration: Test your plugin thoroughly to identify bugs and areas for improvement. Continuously iterate on your code to enhance performance, stability, and user experience.
6. Documentation: Create detailed documentation that explains how to use your plugin, its features, and any customization options.
7. Community Engagement: Involve the Blender community by seeking feedback and suggestions. Encourage collaboration and contributions from other developers interested in your project.
8. Maintenance and Updates: Plan for ongoing maintenance and updates to keep your plugin compatible with future versions of Blender and its components.

Remember that creating a competitive game engine plugin is a significant undertaking. It’s important to have a clear vision, a dedicated team, and a solid plan in place. If you’re passionate about this project, consider reaching out to other developers and the Blender community to gather support and potentially find collaborators.

Yes, I can certainly help you write code for Blender add-ons if you provide me with the necessary details and specifications. Please provide me with the programming language you’re using (Python is commonly used for Blender add-ons) and the specific functionality you want to implement. The more detailed your description, the better I can assist you in generating the code.

I mean this with no malice whatsoever, but you can always tell a non-programmer when they think it would be simpler and easier for AI to write their codebase. I’m glad you can recognize your own limitations in this area, and I wish you luck with your project :slight_smile:

2 Likes