Modifier stack no access to datablock

Today I downloaded 2.40 alpha2 to get a bit used to the next version of Blender and I was a bit surprised by the following:

In 2.37a when you make a linked duplicate (ALT+D) of an object, it also links information like the subsurf level.
In 2.40 alpha2 when you make a linked duplicate it doesn’t link any of the information in the modifier stack (subsurf for example). It creates a unique object name and uses that for the modifier stack. So now I’ve got to set the properties for every linked duplicate seperately if I wish to change something.
I already tried to make object share the same object name, but that didn’t work. There’s probably some obvious button or function I’m overlooking, so could anybody help me out?

Ctrl-C >> Modifiers.

%<

You should probably file a bug report - since it would be reasonable that a linked duplicate would keep the modifiers of the original.

LetterRip

It still doesn’t link them though. So for every change you will have to manually copy the attributes Ctrl-C.

Before using that option (it would be a first for me); might there be a reason that the modifiers aren’t linked?

Before using that option (it would be a first for me); might there be a reason that the modifiers aren’t linked?

Could be, but I suspect that it is just an error of grabbing the duplicate too early in the code (ie zr probably just overlooked it…), it might be useful to have an option of doing either.

LetterRip

I just had a look at the bug tracker and there is something similar in the tracker: http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3190&group_id=9&atid=125

I tried to add a comment to it referring to this thread (even created an account), but it wouldn’t let me. Perhaps somebody else can do it?

There’s no bug. If you use Alt-D then you RMB-select the duplicate and then Shft-RMB the original and hit Ctrl-C >> Modifiers >> Subsurf. However, that’s 2.3 thinking.

In 2.4 the procedure is to Add a Mirror Modifier before a Subsurf Modifier (both to the original mesh).

%<

I’m probably indeed still too much into 2.3

Just tried the way you described and it works. Though it takes some getting used to.
Thanks a lot.