Monkey Island Scene

Hi everyone! This is my firt upload to the community. I have recently quit my full-time job to pursue my dreams of being a freelance 3d artist. In the following months, I’ll be focusing on building up my portfolio and technical skills / speed so I can be confident enough in a near future to look for my first jobs.

Ideally I’d love to focus on character sculpting (like comissions) or anything related to board games (which is another passion of mine).

This artwork I’ve just finished is a tribute to Monkey Island 3 (The Curse of Monkey Island) which I loved playing as a kid. It’s art style kept with me during all these years. I tried to imitate that cartoon style with emission shaders for the characters, while using more realistic shaders for the environment to separate one from the other.

This was a project built completely from scratch. I modeled everything, sculpted the main character, retopolgyze, rigged, posed, applied textures and lighting. It was rendered in Eevee.

:+1: If you want to see more work of mine you can visit (and follow if you want!) in Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/paiorlolo/ (you’ll find an animation of this scene there too).

Looking forward to reading your comments so I can apply those critiques for my future work. Something that I find very difficult is calling my job ‘done’. I’m very perfectionist so I never feel it’s ready to be uploaded. So here I’m doing an effort in moving on to my following project.

Also, interested in knowing if anyone has gone through a similar story (quitting your job, giving a leap of faith to pursue your dreams). Would love to hear your stories, any advice you can share would be very valuable.

Cheers!

21 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Whoops, I posted the wrong link. Frrrriiday!

2 Likes

Thank you!! :raised_hands:

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

You did use 2d artwork directly from the game.

2 Likes

That’s right. I took screenshots of the intro scene and used them as reference. And the background was used as it is.

1 Like