Moon Orbiter - 3d-Print / Cycles

Finally I managed to get this little spaceship done aaaaand 3d-printed !!! Blender is brilliant to create things for my Prusa Mk2.5. Took me long enough to get it finished. It’s fun to go through a manual “shading” process including weathering / washing and designing my own typo-decals. The result is okay, I guess for a first one :nerd_face:.

66 Likes

15 years ago, you could of paid £500 or more for software like this!

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Wow, Bart! That’s incredible! I just got started, haha.

Have a good weekend! Peter

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

This is really cool! I actually quite like the scene you have setup with the 3d print :slight_smile:

The ship itself is also pretty great. Clean and functional yet still very visually interesting.

Do you plan on fleshing out more creations for this universe you created? Those little people need jobs and families now haha

1 Like

Fantastic job!! :clap:

1 Like

25 years ago (GULP!) I spent $1500 on a STUDENT license of Lightwave. For the most part that software sucked. :wink:

@deadpin Thanks for you kind comments.

Step by step, but yeah, I hope I can free up more time to do more concepts - at the moment it is mostly for me about getting faster to translate ideas faster into forms. So hopefully more to come!

@TorQ Times change … it’s actually an exciting time to do 3d again, isn’t it?

1 Like

Great job on the print. What is the layer Height at, Material settings, Slicer etc? Did you have any problems getting the surface smoothed out ? or any problem the panel lines, circles etc?

loves
just amazing.

1 Like

@Mash3d Thank you. I used pretty much standard settings on my prusa. No extra thin layers, because they seemed to me only minimally smoother and the risk to have a failed print is not worth it.

Panel lines are meticiously modelled and tested what width works fine in the print. Pro-tip: If you know that you need to sand it down anyhow, don’t do any rivets or other stuff that sticks out ;).

Apart from that it is a lot of sanding, filling, sanding ,filling, priming, sanding , rinse and repeat :).

Finally, i cut the model to avoid overhangs and maximize vertical print areas, since they produce the best surfaces in fillament printers.

That covers some parts of the journey ;).

@masterxeon1001 Thanks, that means a lot to me, coming from you.

I hope I can do tons of more hardops / bc - models to throw at my 3d printer.

1 Like

Amateurs! :wink:
I remember a Silicon Graphics + Maya or Softimage 3D hovered between 50 and 100K!!

Running a decent PC + all your software for around 3K is something of a technical marvel imho.

1 Like

This looks amazing!

I’m thinking about printing my stuff, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Things have always been exciting but great work like yours keeps the inspiration high!

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
I’ve cut down on a lot of sanding by printing at .05 layer height and using a two part liquid epoxy.
The epoxy is Bob Smith industries 20 minute Finish Cure. I’ve thinned it with a little bit of alcohol. You can also warm it up with a heat gun or hair dryer to get it to flow better.
It’s similar to XTC-3d Smooth-ON but you get a little bit more for the same price.
If you try it mix it very carefully with the recommended ratios and build it up thin layers.

Wow. I felt in love with this ship and pics.

1 Like

@grundgedanke Thanks, I am honoured! Will try to post more, as they come :wink: !