More Nature Photos. Which one looks the best?

6 Likes

What could I improve on?

4 2 1 3 in that order.

the only thing i could think of is a bit more variety in the greens? but not sure if that’d be an “improvement” or not.

1 Like

Thanks! Any feedback is much appreciated.

I don’t judge on the 4 images, because I just watch them on my mobile right now. But for improvement I would say, you could work on the transition between the grass and the piece of the column. There’s short grass growing upwards, but from the perspective you have chosen it visually transitions at the same height than the high grass around. This makes it hard to notice that there’s a difference in the type of grass. Also my assumption would be, that there wouldn’t be a straight line between where the short grass grows and where there’s only column. Better try to break this up a bit.

i like the 1st one

I like the first one. The only thing missing for me, if I imagine I’m laying there, hands under chin looking at that view, is maybe an ant, or other insect, creeping up one of the fern leaves. A fly or nat hovering about, maybe a butterfly off in the distance. I’d just expect to see them. Oh, and a fair amount of faded grunge on the rocks and the half buried piece.

In terms of color: I like the first one the best. The second one is a bit artificial, the third is too hazy, last one is a touch too vibrant.

A couple of things to consider about renders like this though:
- the story: how did the ruin come here? How long has it been here, and how might nature have transformed it? (weathered edges, esp if made out of limestone, plants growing over it, the obj impact on the surroundings: where it casts shadows the vegetation might be shorter, different, etc)
- vegetation: can you typically find these plants growing near each other? Pines make the soil very acidic, and not all types of grass will grow next to them because of that
- landscape: exposed rocks mean that the ground is primarily rock-based, meaning that the grass and other veg growing over it will be shorter, and not as abundant. (one such typical landscape is karst, if you google it you will see exactly what I mean). This of course doesn’t mean that rocks existing above soil-based ground are impossible though, just improbable, as they would “sink” into the ground over time.

2 Likes

Thank you, this opens my eyes to a lot of stuff that I never thought about. It sounds like I need to spend more time looking at reference pictures.

I like 1 and 4 best. 4 is more vibrant, so it depends on what mood you want to project.

However, I don’t think that’s the biggest issue here. I concur with DuckyDuck, you need to think about how the stone pieces got there and how long it’s been. They seem “out of time” to me – they look like they’ve been relatively recently put there, carefully placed individually, but that doesn’t match with the grass or with how ruins usually come about (they crumble slowly over time). I think you might want to weather them a lot more, or, if this is an artificial arrangement, “cut” the grass and make that more obvious in other ways.

Lots of references are always a good idea.

1 Like