More Procedural Textures for Blender?

Unfortunately you will never see a real blur node in Blender but there is way to fake blur like this video show here ;

1 Like

Isnā€™t Blender using OSL? In Max all the OSL node code is exposed in the material editor and is fully editable. You can also load/save custom OSL nodes and users share them. Is this possible in Blender?

1 Like

No cycles supports OSL shaders when rendering in the cpu but the cycles shaders are not OSL.

1 Like

Right. Thanks. I was wondering what the ā€˜Use OSLā€™ checkbox was for in the render properties panel. That clears it up. Pity OSL isnā€™t supported in the nodes, Iā€™m sure weā€™d see a ton of user-created content if it were.

Well, it is supported in the nodes. Simply add a ā€œscript nodeā€, write your code into a text editor window and chose it from the drop down menu in the script node.
Problem is, that it isnā€™t supported by gpu which I think is why many donā€™t use it that much.
But there is content if you look for it.

In the Text edit there is a ā€œtemplatesā€ menu where you can load, well, templates. You can use one of them if you want to test it.

1 Like

OSL is part of Cycles since the beginningā€¦ at least the main part of OSL!
We still lack from:

• Metadata for Shader parameters (dropdowns, checkboxes, mappers, filenamers, etc)
  • Messaging system between nodes (itā€™s wonderfull to have, but few know what it can do)
  • Shaded traced rays (call shaders from geometry hitted by trace())
  • PointClouds! (which is a pitty!! Really, a huge sadness!!!)
  • and, not Cycles fault, it must run in CPUā€™s only (perhaps the main reason nobody tried to implement the above ones).

Fortunatly, some new developments have been done in order to compile OSL code for GPUā€¦ but for most of what it does, you can do it with nodes; and you could use @LazyDodo 's OSLPy which does a good job turning OSL code to GPU compatible nodes (even for Eevee).

2 Likes

While this is not the best work around for OSL Gpu issue, every subscene can have their own render engine as in cpu vs gpu+osl. You can combine render layers back in the compositor as needed.

Thanks for that. Iā€™m very new to rendering in Blender and usually use Arnold in Max, so bear with me. Iā€™ve imported some Max OSL files and they work as expected. The only issue is that with the ā€˜use OSLā€™ checkbox on the whole system slows down as the CPU maxs out as it keeps ā€˜updating lightsā€™ in the render view and takes quite a while to do so. Better support for OSL - and especially EEVEE support - would be great. Here are the Max .OSLs running in Cycles:

1 Like

Hi, I like to submit my procedural texture:
Itā€™s a procedural texture that turns any texture into floorboards using UV mapping. The main purpose is to convert any set of pbr timber textures into floorboards. I focused on generating a more random layout of boards, instead of just the standard running bond pattern. This is achieved by offsetting each row by a random amount. The node works by taking the texture, chopping it up according to board size, offsetting each board UV by a random amount thus giving each board a different texture. The node also generates a random value per board so each board can be given a random colour adjustment to generate variation. Another feature I added for archviz purposes is scaling the boards in real-world units. Layout variations can be easily randomised by changing the seed value.

Thank you for your consideration, any and all feedback is very welcome. Thanks!

1 Like