Mountainscape - virtualxduck

Hi fellow blender-artists

I’d like to present my most recent finished project “Mountainscape”.

Created in Blender 3.5 and Cycles

Render:

Comparis

I used geoscatter for the creation of the realistic vegetation and rocks. Further I used the Megascans Library for their textures.

I’d be grateful for feedback.

Have a great day
virtualxduck

7 Likes

Hello! Below is a constructive critique of elements i feel could be improved.

Firstly, the mountain. Vegetation on mountains is never uniform, and most importantly, the type changes with altitude. Trees are the first ones to stop growing, first deciduous trees, then conifers. Trees are then replaced by short coniferous shrubs, which lastly are replaced by grass. Different plants grow on sides of the mountain facing different directions (south or north). They are typically also very dense, and rarely do you only get one species of trees growing all over the mountain. At this distance, you dont need super high quality trees, sometimes you can get by even with clever use of instanced images of trees.
The texture on the mountains should also not be uniform, maarten nauta on youtube has a great tutorial about texturing mountains (I think he also provides one of his own custom made mountains which you might find useful).

Secondly, the lighting. I assume you used a hdri, but IMO while they provide good lightning, it’s often just kind of meh. The shadows here are soft, the eye doesn’t get drawn to anything right away. I’d recommend experimenting with the default sky texture and using Disney’s vdb clouds. They are very render intensive, so use them if you think you can, and the default principled volumetric shader won’t give super good results. Still, there are videos on youtube for cloud shaders. Your current clouds feel disconnected, the ones here look like cumulus and stratus clouds, and such clouds are usually found at medium to low altitudes, up to about 2 km.

The rest of the scene looks nice, perhaps a bit more vegetation variation, but otherwise, nice work! Happy rendering!

Beautiful scene!