Mourning Sea Dog by Ferotan

Hey everyone!

This is my first personal work for 2021. I have tried to achieve a cinematic look and the right feeling for a Pirate story. Procedural Eyes, retopology, hair, cloth and jewelry models, lighting, and rendering are done in Blender. Head sculpted in Zbrush, skin painted with Substance Painter.

For details please check my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oAKBwB

81 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

great idea the little monkey

2 Likes

Nice! :+1:

1 Like

The only thing that I would suggest is to kick-in a little more light on the pirate’s right side, including particularly his cloak. Let this be the warm light that you’re now using, just a little more of it. (I understand that he’s stepping into a beam of cloudy sunlight.)

1 Like

Actually, it’s a night scene with an exaggerated moonlight. :slight_smile: I intentionally designed it as a movie scene. Like the unnatural light setups in Pirates of The Caribbean movies. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

1 Like

This is a tribute to your artistic vision and skill. But as well, the work really really showcases Blender capability.

And while I really like substance painter, Extreme Procedural materials in Blender is great step in the right direction. Although a small one at this juncture.

Love the whole work.

I do have one question about the render - if you don’t mind - how many samples

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate it. I’m even happier if I managed to demonstrate some of Blender’s capabilities.

It’s 1000 samples but It’s actually overkilling. After this one, I rendered 2 more poses with 512 samples and there is no difference at all.

(Both with optix denoiser.)

Also your pirate character strongly resembles Dominic West. Great pronounced facial features.

The skin is excellent - And the lighting outstanding.

Thanks for your responses. And I Look forwards to to other works

1 Like

Great work, congrats.

1 Like

Very dandy! Is he full velvet-clothed , or leather … Nice very nice :grinning:

1 Like

One alibi, … your character likeness bears a resemblance to an actor, Dominic West. Although your head mesh has stonger more prominent features.
Again, a great sculpt. motivating. And I did visit your Art station site.

And I swear, its the last post

1 Like

I remember him. He is a great actor! Actually, my sculpting references were Toby Stephens and Ray Stevenson. First I sculpted a generic human male, then I tried to make him as a mixture of both actors.

I knew it’s not a very sane way to create characters, but I also knew that I am not good at likeness sculpting :laughing:

2 Likes

This is excellent. You really deserve to be featured.

My only suggestions are that you capture the moonlight greatly and I love the highlights, but I feel like a darker (our) left side would make for a more nighttime feel. (I sent you a Message) And I think you got carried away with one or two pieces of jewelry (maybe take out the top right (on our right) ring and the eyebrow ring.

1 Like

I loved the Suzanne detail on the earring. :slight_smile: :smile:

2 Likes

Actually your character creation method is great. Ken trammel uses the exact same process. Blending other chraracter’s features. He has a 12 part tutorial on “Modelling a realistic head”

Yours is as good as anything I’ve seen modelled on Blender so far. In fact, on par with anything on the XYZ gallery

1 Like

This is great buddy.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Whoops, I forgot to add the link!

1 Like

Thank you for the feature!