Mouse Lemur sort of creature

Hi All,

Long time visitor but this is my first post in Artwork section. Originally coming from 3ds Max/Maya background I decided to give Blender a go and came up with a project to try out things. I started with the idea that I want to create everything in Blender but found sculpting in Blender a tad slowish at the time (not understanding how people manage to sculpt in Blender I thought I would jump into Zbrush instead) - after the sculpt was done I did the retopo in Blender. After a quick unwrap in Zbrush and basic texturing I continued a bit of painting inside of Blender. I have never used Blender Internal for rendering and when I started using Blender cycles came along so I thought I would just dive straight into Cycles. The most challenging task for me was the hair - I was really impressed with the results Blender could produce and even though it was rather tedious and slow to render the more I tried and learned how to make renders faster the more I enjoyed using Blender. It was 2.5K render which took 2 hours 10 minutes on my box - I am yet to learn heaps about Blender but I am enjoying especially after I have changed key configurations to make myself feel a bit more like in Maya/Max.

Please feel free to comment/critique. It isn’t perfect and could have been improved but I felt it was time to finish the little fella. Oh and sorry but I had to do the Black and White version :D.

Cheers,
Serge.

Attachments

Love the bulging eyes, and those hands are downright creepy! :eek:

good job cooooooooooooool

great work (y)

Lovely ugly dude :p, excellent work! Did you do the DoF in Blender or Photoshop/Gimp?

Howdy guys, thanks very much for all your kind words, much appreciated.
Yup his hands/fingers are pretty funny but these creatures are very cute and tiny in real life.
Stubby Tyrant, thanks man. I have tried inbuilt camera DOF which worked great but it was baking in the DOF into the render and also blurring the eyes which was a no no :slight_smile: I couldn’t find a way to render ZDepth pass separately (from white to black so I could either turn it off or on). So in the end I used PhotoshopElements to simulate DOF following almost exactly what Blender camera DOF was giving me with full control though.

Thanks again guys.
Cheers,
Serge.