Mouselook Navigation addon (+ZBrush mode)

Thanks again for the update! I am still getting a bit of lag when using the addon to move the camera when a multi-res modifier is applied. For some reason when you rotate with Mouselook Navigation, it sets the resolution of the object back to level 0 while rotating, then returns to normal when done. The behavior isn’t like this when the addon is disabled. I am not sure if that switch is causing the lag or not.

Also, I tried disabling Sculpt under the Raycast Modes, but when disabled I can’t use the addon to move the camera anymore. So is it only using raycast when sculpting?

Thanks again for the hard work on this addon!

Here is how it’s supposed to work:
ezgif-6-c91541719f0f

Could you try something for me?

• Create a Suzanne, then
  • Add a multi-resolution modifier
  • Subdivide her 4 times in the modifier
  • Make sure Level Viewport and Sculpt is set to 4
  • Rotate the scene using Mouselook Navigation, pay attention to the modifier window
  • When the user rotates, the Sculpt subdivision level drops to 1
  • When Mouselook Navigation is disabled, rotation is fast and lag free

Does this happen on your machine as well? One workaround I have found is to hold the mouse button until the transition to the lower subdivision level is complete then rotate, this reduces the lag or skipping feeling.

If I disable Sculpt under Raycast Modes, should the navigation still work? For me it completely disables it.

Thanks again!
Corey

“When the user rotates, the Sculpt subdivision level drops to 1” - yeah, this is the only way I could do something similar to Blender’s “Fast Navigate” option. Though, since my attempt to replicate this feature creates more problems that it’s supposed to solve, maybe I should just remove/disable it…? :thinking:
For now, you can try disabling the “Fast Navigate” option to see if this changes the addon’s navigation performance in multires sculpting.

If you disable Sculpt under Raycast Modes, the navigation should work if you drag beyond the border (the black rectangle in the gif). Navigation will work only outside of the rectangle.

Thanks for the update! I tried disabling Fast Navigate, but the performance was the same. No biggie, just something to get used to. I now understand the “beyond the border” navigation. haha. It’s super fast when outside of the boundary. Is there any way to increase the size of the border?

Thanks again!
Corey

Right now, the border size is hard-coded, but I’ll make it adjustable in the next update.

Just try this addon and have some question about why in ZBrush mode the viewport rotation like ZBrush is missing the shortcut key in ZBrush is press Shift then release the key and mouse drag. (like how you zoom but change the key to Shift.) Not seen many people use this though but its always been very useful to me.
Not sure why this is unavailable is it impossible to replicate this in Blender?

Hmm… Do you mean the “Rotate around Z-axis – Shift, Click, release Shift, drag” shortcut?
I can try to add support for restricting the axes of rotation, with customizable shortcuts. But I’m not sure that adding “Shift+Click” to the default ZBrush preset would be a good idea, since it will conflict with some existing Blender shortcuts (e.g. box selection and sculpt smoothing).

Yes, I mean for that shortcut but to be clear it the Z-axis from the viewport not the object, so call it to rotate the viewport feels easier to understand for me.
From my knowledge, the only way to rotate the viewport in Blender is to press Shift+4/6 and it snapping to some angle so a shortcut that could do a smooth rotation would be good.

Hello, thank you for this addon. I believe I have found a bug:
If the mouselook preset is set to Zbrush, Automasking: Topology doesn’t work. For example, if you have a face with eyebrows, eyes, teeth, etc, separate mesh islands but joined to be one object the move brush with Automasking:Topology doesn’t behave as intended.

Woooha!!! The new Mouse-Look Navigation 1.60 fixes the speed issue with the multi-res meshes with the Z-Buffer selection option!!! Thank you very, very much for the continued support of this add-on!

1 Like

Now that this add-on is emulating ZBrush so well, I was wondering if there would be away to add some additional ZBrush like functionality to it? Would it be possible to emulate how ZBrush handles subdivision levels? In sculpt mode it would work like this:

1. CTRL + D on the object would add a multires modifier (if one doesn’t exist) and subdivide once.
  2. CTRL + D on the object would increase the existing multires modifiers subdivision by 1.
  3. Shift + D on the object would decrease existing multires modifiers sculpt level by 1
  4. D on the object would increase existing multires modifiers sculpt level by 1

With these hotkeys, you are able to quickly move up and down existing subdivision levels of the multires modifer as well as add additional subdivision levels when necessary.

Heh, I kind of wanted to post the news about this release after I finish updating the documentation, but it seems the cat is out of the bag already :rofl:

For the sake of completeness, here’s the list of changes in the 1.6.0 version:

New features:

• Added toggles for individual overrides of autoreg keymap settings
  • Added back the Z-buffer geometry detection method (it’s the default now)
  • Added “Adjust Multires” preference (disabled by default)
  • Added preferences for ZBrush border size
  • Implemented input axis toggling (ability to ignore X or Y of input device movement)

Changes:

• Rearranged the preferences UI
  • Instead of in-operator shortcuts for forcing mouse/selection origin, now there is an explicit origin setting
  • Rewritten the input handling logic (backwards-incompatible; presets made for the earlier addon versions will not work)
  • Overhauled the keymap configuration UI
  • Removed the Mouselook Navigation panel in the 3D view (in shelf and in header popover)

Fixes:

• Fixed in-camera navigation (“Lock Camera to View”)
  • Fixed index assignment for default autoreg keymaps
  • Overlays now are drawn only when Mouselook Navigation is toggled on
  • ZBrush border min size now depends on UI scale
1 Like

Hmm, it’s a bit outside of the addon’s main focus, but I guess it makes sense to have :thinking:
I’ll try to implement it in one of the next updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I really appreciate it! :grin:

I fixed some bugs/regressions introduced in the last release, and recommend to download the latest update (1.6.2) :slight_smile:

Also, I finally updated the documentation :partying_face:

I’m having trouble getting the add-on to show up on the list in Preferences. It says Modules Installed at the bottom. I’m using 2.92.

Huh, weird. Did Blender actually unpack the archive to the addons directory?

E.g. for Blender 2.92 on Windows, the addons directory is
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons

yes (post must be 10 characters so I’m writing something :))

Are there any other addons in that directory? Do they show up in Preferences?

Are there any errors in system console? (Window → Toggle System Console)