Move, Rotate and Scale transforms like Maya

Hi,

I’m sorry if this is covered somewhere but I’ve tried to google search it and I can’t seem to find the result I’m trying to explain.

Basically in Blender, when I choose G, R or S tool, it opens the corresponding transform tool and then immediately starts to transform that tool.

Coming from Maya, I much preferred the ability to use them more like a toggle and then do the transformations after I’ve selected the tool.

How do I do that in Blender? Sorry again if this has been covered a million times, I just cant seem to get that result when searching.

Thank you.

Welcome!

You have to first find the buttons, in the left menu (press “t” if it’s closed). Then, you can right click on the buttons and you will find an option to assign shortcuts.

Though, I don’t know for sure what will happen if you choose a key that’s already in use (I work with the Blender default keys and would rather not test overriding them).

buttons

Try this addon, instead of assigning a hotkey to the toolbar icons:

I’ll take a look, thanks. Surprised something like this isn’t there as default. Living Blender but really don’t like how the transformations work

The feature is there…
In the Preferences go to Keymap, and switch the “Tool Keys” from “Immediate” to “Active Tool”…

3 Likes

Different 3D apps have different default behaviors for such common things, and it’s usually historical in “Why this way?” - because whomever originally coded it, liked it like that. A few thousand users later, now everyone is used to it.

Doesn’t mean it’s good nor bad (well, sometimes it’s actually good, or bad) - but nonetheless there’s the basic reason.

Perfect. You’re a hero!

Note that this dialog only appears if using the Blender keymap. (In case someone is using a different keymap, and wondering why they cannot see it).