MOVIE BUFFS: how photorealistic is SINTEL? Compared with similar live-action scenes

Sintel is an incredibly beautiful film, and I think part of the reason is that it is fairly photorealistic. My question is, just how photorealistic is it?

To answer that, I’m looking for scenes from live-action movies that have similar content to scenes from Sintel.

Consider the opening fight sequence, for instance, in which Sintel fights an armed ambusher. Maybe there is a similar scene in a James Bond or Star Wars movie – i.e., a one-on-one fight scene on a snowy background.

Does anyone have ideas of specific scenes that might be a good match for scenes from Sintel?

edit:

Also, it’s totally fine if Sintel turns out to be not very realistic! I’m interested in how it differs from real scenes. That might be interesting to the Blender community as a whole, too, since it could suggest new features perhaps, or ways to use the existing features for good realism (if that’s what you want).

Sintel was not photorealistic, any more than video game cutscenes are. Characters are disproportional and physics is doctored. I loved Sintel, it’s just not a good idea to compare it to live action, IMO. It would better be compared to Final Fantasy AC or Final Fantasy The spirits within (UGHH) or perhaps Beowolf, where it compares fairly well.

IMO. IMO.

Let my flogging begin.

Sintel is not a realistic character at all, with those huge eyes and tiny mouth.

The design of every characters in Sintel is not using any realism but indeed use a cartoon disproportions style, a bit like what Pixar movies are based on.

Yeah, I agree that many aspects are not realistic – things like the details of the faces. That’s okay, though.

I’m more interested in things like shading, motion+defocus blur, surface colors+textures, movement, the way things like houses blur into one another from far away, the softness of edges. That sort of thing. I know Sintel is not super photorealistic, but it seems like it must be good in some ways in order to look so nice.

For example, is the shot of Sintel running through the bamboo forest similar to what it would really look like? Come to think of it, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” could be a good match for that scene.

The Final Fantasy comparison would be useful, too, but that’s a different question. I want to evaluate realism.

Also, it’s totally fine if Sintel turns out to be not very realistic! I’m interested in how it differs from real scenes. That might be interesting to the Blender community as a whole, too, since it could suggest new features perhaps, or ways to use the existing features for good realism (if that’s what you want).

@ 39:00 Ed Catmull starts on a very important point, it carries over to about 44:00 (although the entire video is interesting)

The short answer is, Sintel differs from reality because it is art.

The Best that the BF have come up with so far imho, is BBB, I still use that one in classes when I want to demo Blender, most people don’t understand either ED or Sintel.

I’m not sure why animators go with the big eyes & tiny mouth? Cutesy? I think it looks silly. Having said that, Sintel was pretty cool, and a great Blender showcase.

That’s really interesting, I don’t think I’ve heard other people say they prefer BBB over Sintel. What do you mean when you say people don’t understand Sintel and ED?

Nice video. Ed Catmull is the man :wink:

Sintel is certainly art, it just seems more like a careful departure from reality than a totally Impressionistic piece. Some of the scenes look incredibly vivid to me.

Now, I could be wrong. Maybe, like Bambi, these scenes only SEEM realistic but really aren’t. That’s why I’d like to make comparisons with similar live-action scenes.

Can anyone think of live-action scenes that are reminiscent of this one? (Or any from Sintel!)

I can’t speak for others, but for me BBB is a much stronger piece as well.

For me, I think it had to do a lot with the subject matter. Sintel felt very much like “just another game trailer”. That’s not intended as a slam or anything, it just means there are a lot of game trailers in these murky browns and greys, and it is very much in that style.

BBB, by comparison is very vibrant with some classic animation, and just plays well to everyone. It was the piece that finally opened my eyes to Blender, and for that I am very happy.

some people things the only one good style is the photorealism
these people thinks the non-photorealism is an error

Well, if Sintel was intended to appeal to a larger audience (ie the video game crowd) and pull some of them to adopting Blender into their production pipeline, then making Sintel in that style was probably a wise choice.

I agree, I don’t like the big eye, big hand 3D-CG anime style, though I am a big fan of video game trailer style.

I don’t even know if their is such a thing as photorealism anymore. Even live action footage is extensively postprocessed (color correction, glare, green screen, etc) to the point where it is nearly as doctored as CG.

Okay, then I’m looking for older movies I guess!

Movies have never considered reality good enough:

black and white era:
citizen kane:

Colour era:
wizard of Oz…

movies have always been art directed, stylised, impossible versions of reality… that’s why on any live shoot there’s a ton of lights, makeup and in the modern era, colourists and digital sfx

that is still photorealism, the word photorealism doesn’t mean you have something that is 100% authentic to reality. with characters that are realistic looking etc… It just means the image that you get out is comparable to one that was photographed by a camera, even a doctored image…The image just needs to look like a camera could have taken it,

the images in Rango for example would be considered photo real because if you removed the stylised characters the sets look like minuatres that have been photographed. I think you have to ignore any stylization that is going on with the characters and sets and just simply look at the images to see if the would pass for photographic ones.

I’m all for photorealism. My attitude is that, if you’re going to do CGI, and since it can be done now, photorealism is the way to go. I think it’s an exciting new artform, seeing just how close to real you can make something look. Can you fool an unwitting observer into believing that he’s just looking at a photograph of something shot in the real world. I’ve seen it happen. I show my roomate all the time photorealistic Cycles renders. I still enjoy the few seconds of stammer he does when he remarks that he’d like a bedroom like that, and I tell him it was a model built in a computer by one of my BA colleagues.

Besides: I’m interested in making sci-fi movies. Sci-fi has always been about telling interesting stories about what can be done with innovative new technology. I can’t imagine anything more apt than an artist using innovative new technology in innovative ways to tell a technology story.

However, I don’t think “Sintel” fits into that realm.
I loved “Sintel.” I was an English major in school, and I’ve always felt that story is the most important element of any creative endevour. By far.
Sintel had a fantastic story. Many people on YouTube commented that it moved them to tears. That’s a hell of a commendation for a cartoon. And it is the mark of a very successful story. The first commandment of storytelling is to make the audience feel something.
I think it’s also why “Sintel” is non-photorealistic.
I don’t think “Sintel” is supposed to look like a videogame.
What I see “Sintel” as, instead, is mythology and drama. In the ancient, pure sense.
People like Aristotle said that the point of Drama (I mean the ancient greek plays, not drive-by shootings, the dalliances of morons on “reality tv,” or shouting matches at the nightly rastlin’ show…) is to provoke a catharsis in the audience. To make the audience feel somehow that they can relate to the human faillings of the character. And to teach them a moral lesson.
“Sintel” does that, and on a very personal level.

I place “Sintel” not on par with a video game or “reality” (whatever that’s supposed to be.)
Instead, I would place it squarely in the Classics section. Next to “The Illiad,” “The Oddyssy,” “Gone With The Wind,” “Star Wars,” “Beowulf.” Etc.
This film is not supposed to be reality. Instead it is Heightened Reality. A dreamland in which reality is crystallized, and takes on a deeper meaning and greater import than the meaninglessness of day-to-day. Like the moment you have when you suddenly realize a deep and chilling truth about your life. Something that you know you will never forget, something that you know will change you forever.

If you want a film to watch that might compare, you might try “Excalibur,” the old film made in the late 70’s or early '80’s.
“Sintel” looks like art from a Heroic Age culture, more interested in depicting their heroes as near-gods, and their villains as monsters. Reality can’t compare to that, and is a let-down.
Sintel is visual poetry.

Hey, Jay, THANK YOU for posting that Catmull vid. I really enjoyed that. Great men.
Host to audience: “And for those of you who aren’t particularly technical… Okay, raise your hand if you consider yourself to be sort of on the non-technical side of things…”
(Catmull and the majority of the panel raise their hands…)

Big thanx to Jay for pointing out that it’s all about art!
It’s a big lesson to see the whole pixar team stress the importance of the story over technology.
Such a realization might help put into perspective the usual Blender vs. whatever debates often held on this forum.