Moving around in Blender?

After using Blender for a while, there’s one thing that’s constantly annoyed me. There appears to be no good way of moving around in 3D space.

Holding Shift while pressing the MMB/Scrollwheel button works if I want to move around sideways. MMB/Scrollwheel button alone works for turning around in 3D. This is all fine, but my problem is that there’s no good way of moving inwards (what would normally be the z-axis). The only method I know of is scrolling using the scrollwheel (and various other combinations that does the same thing) to zoom.

While this works in some cases, there is a limit as to how much you can zoom, and in some cases, I can’t get close enough to the object as I’d like. So my question is simply, is there a way to actually move around in the 3D space? So that instead of having to move the objects closer to you (really annoying if there’s a lot of different meshes involved), is there a way to move the actual POV closer to the object, à la ghost mode in most First Person Shooters?

Num Pad

How exactly does the numpad allow me to move around instead of zooming?

while in camera view press shift+F if i remember right. Space ends flying.

MassTA, you helped me learn something new today! That seems incredibly useful to me, thank you!

No, that is not sarcasm. I am happy.

While this works in some cases, there is a limit as to how much you can zoom, and in some cases, I can’t get close enough to the object as I’d like. So my question is simply, is there a way to actually move around in the 3D space? So that instead of having to move the objects closer to you (really annoying if there’s a lot of different meshes involved), is there a way to move the actual POV closer to the object, à la ghost mode in most First Person Shooters?

That Zoom-Lock happens only in Perspective mode, toggle to Ortho mode with Numpad-5. It also locks relative to the 3D Cursor’s Z position. You can also use Numpad-/ (Local mode) and C (Center on Cursor).

%<

Although not entirely relevant to what I’m trying to do, I think that would be a rather useful way of positioning the camera properly. Thanks.

Not exactly what I wanted, but it’s good enough I guess. And that Local mode+C will probably help me in the future. Thanks. :slight_smile: