MPEG-4 Codec Renders Red

Hi, I’m using Blender 2.5 and I tried to render a video, but every time I set the output file to MPEG, whatever codec I choose (if it renders at all), Blender will render it in red. Single frames are fine, but MPEG video is frustrating me to no end.

Screenshots of settings and output:

Attachments

Render to an image sequence, not a video. Rendering to video files in any program is usually just asking for trouble. It’s a convenience feature that is best avoided most of the time, a lot like auto exposure/white balance on your camera.

Okay, advice heeded. Small follow-up question: After rendering to a folder of PNGs, what program could I use to string them together as a video file with audio. I’ve looked a quite a few programs, and a lot of them don’t work unless the resolution and format and everything is just exactly one way. Do you know a program with more flexibility? (Preferably free.)

Personally, I’m a Final Cut user so I just use Compressor. (You’re on a Mac, it looks like?) If you don’t have FCS, or have an older version, that’s not really an option for you. There are a number of free programs that can do it, such as using ffmpeg from the command line, but I’ve never done it. Also, Quicktime 7 Pro can do this, if you have it. Otherwise, I’m afraid someone else is going to need to help you there.

You can load your images into blender. jk :slight_smile:

VirtualDub (if you want .avi container) or Avidemux for others like matroska, mp4 etc.

MPEGStreamclip will give you .mov container. Think it takes image sequences.