Multicolored Volume with Geo Nodes

Hi,
I created a point cloud in geometry nodes. The points have different colors as can be seen in image 1. The colors are passed to the shader via attribute.

I want to turn the points into a volume and the volume should have the same colors as points.
However, when I add a “points to volume” node I lose the color information as can be seen in image 2.

Is it possible to pass the color information to the shader for the volume somehow?

This works:

Here we can see that the color information is lost:

Just off the top of my head, I’d say the issue is likely that volumes don’t have a point index to sample from. You may have to use proximity instead. Good luck.

3 Likes

hmm … do not have much experience with volumes … but to me it looks like that volumes do not have any domain at all that could hold attributes.

3 Likes

Hey i am doing something similar, i want to give color to 1 volume object depending of the value of the attribute, the closest thing i am trying to exploit is the use of a 3D Noise texture…
(1) LIVENODING Geometry Nodes Volume Cube and More 3D Textures - YouTube

i think he actually cheated a bit, he used a Volume to mesh then a Volume material… is this the only way to color a volume? ^^
i am currently trying to use a mesh volume as he does… then use point density to input color