Multiple hair modifiers causing crash with UV mapped object

I think I have a bug here, but I’m not sure how to officially report bugs with Blender. This crash occurs with versions 2.70a and 2.75. Version 2.69 does not produce a crash. I am rendering in Blender Internal and using strand particles for the hair.

I have a scene with a ball and two hair modifiers. The ball has a 14.9 MB, 4096 x 4096 texture of static. The texture is applied with a UV map.
I notice it crashes shortly after beginning the render when trying to render with more than one hair modifier active. If it has one hair modifier, it doesn’t matter how many hairs that modifier may have. I have managed to render with more than 5 million strand hairs, and there’s no crash.

As soon as there’s two modifiers, and if that second modifier has more than 0 hairs, it will crash.

I noticed that if I turn off the UV map, and set it to generated instead, the scene will not crash.

So is there something I’m overlooking or did I find a bug?

Blend file (+ Texture and Text file in ZIP)(20.4 MB):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/836f5sih04ecqpk/Blender%20Crash%20Test.zip?dl=0 (You don’t need an account to download the file so just close any sign-in windows.)

The notepad text file included with the Blend file reads as follows:

The crash only seems to happen in Blender versions 2.70a and 2.75. I’m assuming it happens with versions in-between those builds too.

The crash occurs when you begin a render. The crash only seems to occur when there is more than one hair modifier active.

Tested the same scene with 2.69, it doesn’t crash there.

Select the Ball object, modify the Ball material’s texture. Navigate to the Mapping section and note that it is set to UV map. The texture it uses is a 4096x4096 image of static. If you change the Coordinates from UV to Generated, the scene does not crash when you begin a render.

PC Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
16384MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 660
AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics 3.80 GHz

EDIT:
My friend is saying that the scene renders fine for him. Edit: He was using version 2.69, not 2.70 or beyond.

His specs are:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics (0x9809)
AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics 1.40 GHz

Update: Turns out my friend that previously ran the test was using Blender version 2.69, the same version I used that didn’t produce a crash.

Another user is stating that his version of Blender 2.75a is also producing a crash with the same scene, I think I will go forth and submit this as a bug. Not sure how to though.