multiple object question

So I am starting over my robot object, after learning so much from the first one. What I am wondering is, this time instead of making all the objects 1, I wanted to leave them all seperate and spread out on mulitiple layers. Mainly becuase I think it would be easier to right this way, as I would be able to assign bones to object insteads of individual vertices.

I assume this is possible, and furthermore a preferred method of modeling. Am I wrong in this? And is this possible?

For example: Say an ar is made up of 2 mesh constructed things, 2 cylinders, and a few tubes. Could they be left as individual objects and still work as a whole?

Thanks all help!

2d

Yes, its possible to link seperate objects together and you can make them act as a whole in an animation also. Parenting is the tool you use to to link multiple objects together.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jb.perin/mdl_import_v12.zip

That link will start a download that has a plugin for NWN 2 models. The sample models included are a good example of multiple models parented together to form a fighting monster.

Mainly becuase I think it would be easier to right this way, as I would be able to assign bones to object insteads of individual vertices.

I think you’ll still have to assign vertices to the bones. It will be easier to make vertex groups, since you simply select the object and, in edit mode, select all, and there’s your group.

Separate objects can be animated directly. If a wheel is a separate object, no need for an armature, just set a rotation key, rotate the wheel and set another key. If the wheel also moves along with a chassis, parent the wheel to the chassis, it will move along with the chassis while rotating.