Multiresolution Modifier memory leak makes High poly sculpting impossible

There is an issue right now in Blender 4.1 that prevents me and I assume everyone else from sculpting high poly meshes in Blender.

I have statistics turned on and while I’m sculpting on a mesh with 30million polys on level 5 of multiresolution, blender exponentially starts increasing Memory consumption.

What I mean, is that all you need to do is simply click on the mesh with any brush and every click will add 3-5GB of memory usage, it will keep climbing until Blender lags and crashes.

So far, the only way I’ve seen to sculpt and work is to do a few brush strokes, save and reopen the blend file. This resets the memory. But it’s very tedious.

I’ve noticed It crashes once it reaches around 100GB.

I can record what I’m having if you need further proof but currently it seems Blender is not capable of high poly sculpting.

And before anyone asks, no, 30 million in not a lot on a fully naked character that requires skin pores all over the body, in fact, it’s barely enough, since the norm in Zbrush is 40-80 million polys for a realistic character that is going to have tertiary details.

:point_down:

1 Like

I don’t see any memory increase when I check with blender 4.1.1.
We tested about 20 million due to problems with system specifications.
Memory remains stable. (Test using Cube)

Test it with a simple model. :thinking:

I did. Samething happens, it slow, it lags and eventually it crashes.