Multithreading in 2.8x

Hallo guys, I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 3950x in hopes for improved performance on all possible kind of tasks, but I have to admit I’m not really getting incredible results on specific tasks in Blender.
Heavy modeling tasks don’t seem to take any advantage of multi threads, right now for example I’m waiting for Blender to join 5000 extremely simple objects together ( about 12 verts each) and it’s taking ages. In the resource monitor I can see that only ONE core of the 32 available is being used, is it normal?

If someone had some good knowledge about how Blender uses the resources of the PC I would love to know what tasks can take advantage of multi-core CPUs and what not, also a link would be precious.

Thank you so much for your time!
Andrea

Modeling and editing tasks are still single threaded in all 3d apps. That’s the nature of things.

As for your specific issue, I think that the problem lies in joining the 5000 small objects, and not the polycount of the objects themselves. I don’t know why it is essential to join all these parts.

Hi @birdnamnam thank you for your answer. I was trying to convert a particle system into a single mesh.
I see, I didn’t know that modeling was single threaded, at least I was not sure about it. Thanks again, this was helpful.

I see. I’m not so well informed about particles etc, so wait for more feedback on this.

It’s something Blender will have to improve as all current CPU are multi core.
Speed could be multiplied by almost number your CPU have.
Same for animations that should be moved from CPU to GPU.